Hippogriff

After dinner I was in the library playing wizards chess with Mr.Potter.

"Well Cedric you're very good, almost as good as Harry." He congratulated me as I won the game. He offered me a cigar from his jacket pocket. I declined and pulled out a cigarette instead.

"Thank you sir, my grandda and I always played after dinner. He believed chess prepared men for life." I helped him reset the board.

"He sounds like a smart man." He puffed on his cigar as Lily came in with three fire whiskeys .I sipped the expensive liquor enjoying the strong flavor. Harry  came in with Hermione on his heels.

"Dad I need to talk to you about something ." He said ignoring her trying to pull him back to the hall. I stood up and took my glass with me.

"I'll let you two alone to talk. " I walked out gently grabbing Hermione arm so they could be alone to talk.

"Hey I want to talk to him too." She whined as I closed the door behind us.I kept walking til we were at the door to the back porch, it was slightly drizzling still. I open the door and as I walked out she ripped her arm from and scurried away from the door. "No Cedric." Her voice seemed so scared. I closed the door and pulled her into my arms.

"It's just a little rain doll." I whispered.

"Cedric I think you should take Ginny home." She said as pushed herself out of my arms and ran up the stairs.

"Like I said she's a skiddish thing." Ginny said as she came into the room."She's right though, can you take me home Harry is talking to James  about something.He knows I'm leaving." I grabbed an umbrella and helped her to the Jeep. She gave me instructions on where to go.

" I'm making a fool of myself aren't I?" I asked her as we made our way down the winding back roads.

"Maybe.Do you like Hermione?" She asked me like a concerned big sister.

"I just met her."My answer was short and she just raised her eyebrow at me."However I will begrudgingly admit I am attracted to her."

"She is pretty in a unconventional way I guess. Harry won't be happy, but from what he's told me about you, you seem like a good guy."she smiled and pointed to a turn. "Questionable morals when it comes to the female company you keep, but good guy none the less.

" Well Ginny that means a lot coming from you. He's talked about you so much the last three years. He really does love you." I told her and she blushed.

"I know he does, there's just something he's holding back. I don't resent Hermione, she his sister. I just wished he was less protective of her. " We were in front of her house again but she didn't get out. " What do you think Cedric, I'm an only child is his level of protectiveness normal?"

"I don't know, but one of the beaters was that protective of his sister. We later found out she was touched in the head. Hermione seems odd but healthy. So I don't know. Have you talked to Potter about this?" She was looking at the floorboards as I talked to her.

"He says I'm imagining things.When I press the issue he tells me his family is not my concern. Cedric, I think I'm going to end the relationship." I had just met her a few hours ago, but I'm guessing Potter doesn't have a lot of close friends.I rubbed my face with my hand and sighed.

"I know he loves you. If you left him he'd be devastated." She sniffled a small cry back."Look sweetheart,if you want to end it then that's your choice, just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons."

"I know you're right, but you feel it too? There's something they're not telling us. " I shrugged at her question.

"Every family has skeletons in their closets, if you rattle them hard enough they'll fall out. However wouldn't you prefer them to trust you enough to open the closet themselves." She sighed and held her head in her hands.