Troll

I watched Meri play with Luna in the low tide as I taught August how to dig for clams. The twins were inside with Lily and James, Rolf was sitting writing something in a notebook.

"Da." Meri called and I looked up. She had found a shell she thought was pretty.

"Very pretty, want to put it with the others?" I ask pointing to the basket she had filled with sea glass,driftwood and shells. Luna grabbed her hand and they came up to the shore.

"Auggie." Meri said after she put it in the basket. The little boy looked up at her and smiled. He got up and they walked towards the water but stop at the edge.

"She still seems scared to go in the water alone." Luna said as we both got up to join the kids.

"I'm thankful for that small miracle. I don't care if it's selfish." I say and she rolls her eyes.

I was about to join them in the water when Rolf called me over. Luna continued towards the kids and I joined her husband.

"You said Hermione had a pet." A sad smile tugged at my lips. It's been years since I last saw Sowerby.

"Yeah, a grumpy raven. Followed her everywhere." I answered and he groaned closing his book.

"There'll be no living with her now." He said looking at his wife before waving at her.

"What do you mean?" I ask as we walked along the shore.

"Luna's right, Hermione was a sea nymph. Luna does love being right." He shook his head with a soft laugh.

"Are sea nymph unusual? I mean unusual for you two?" The normal person unusual is their normal.

"Considering there has been a sighting of one in over six hundred years, yeah. Grandfather thought they were extinct." Potter did say she didn't age in the water.

"So you're thinking she's that old or they've just been hiding?" It was nice to have some answers finally.

"I'm not sure. They were said to be immortal. They were friends to wizards and had magic." The memory of her performing a spell popped up.

"She was able to perform a Lumos spell on her first try." I said and he looked surprised. "If they were friends to wizards what happened?"

"Legend says a god of the sea had fifty daughters but one wasn't his. One was fathered by a wizard. The god loved the child as his own so when the wizards witch tried to take the child he cursed them. He took their magic and forced them into the water. He created the Jengu as punishment for trying to hurt his family." Rolf said, I was amazed he was able to remember such an obscure story.

"If this god was so angry why did he give them mates?" I asked hoping Meri never met hers. She deserved to choose how she wanted to love.

"He took their choice from them. The magical community back then was very stringent about blood purity and all that. He took their choice, from what I've read Jengu are rarely happy with the mate chosen for them." I remembered how furious Draco was knowing she was a half breed.

"Is that why the Jengu avoid the wizarding world. Because they were once apart of it?" He shrugged at my question.

"Probably, when she's older I want to ask her more questions.maybe she'll remember her life before." I appreciated his not wanting to push her. We all think she saw something happen to her mother.

"Draco." Meri squealed suddenly. My head snapped up and I saw the blond man walking from the ocean. Luna tried to grab her as she ran towards him.

"Angelfish." He said lowly as be dropped to his knees. When she reached him he hugged her and cried.

"Mama?" Meri asked and Draco stiffened and closed his eyes. I stood on the beach frozen. It was like watching a bloody horror movie in slow motion. The monster emerges from the water to drag another person I loved into its depths.

"Da." Meri said and my heart broke knowing she was with her father. "Da."

"Rolf go get James or Lily. I'll try to keep them her long enough for them to say goodbye." I couldn't see though the tears and my voice broke apart on the last couple words. He nodded and ran up the path. I stared at the ground trying to force the lump down and blink away the tears. Draco had come for his daughter, a part of me always knew someone would come for her. I had just hoped I would have more time.

"Da." She called again, her voice sounding a little sad. "Edric."

I lifted my head and saw her get out his arms and walk towards me. I crouched down and as soon as she was in arms reach I picked her up.

"Da?" She put her wet hands in my cheek. She pointed towards her father. "Draco. No mama."

"I know little one." Her silver eyes looked upset but her face seemed confused.

"Sad?" She asked then put her head on my shoulder.

"Trying not to be little one." I kissed her head. Draco has made it to the shore. He looked awful, dark circles under his eyes. He looked weak and exhausted.

"Ione was here, she wouldn't have left Angelfish." He said quietly as he watched me hold his child. I nodded my head and tighten my hold on her.His webbed hand stroked the back of her head. She turned and looked at him.

"Draco, Da." She said happily as she laid her head back on my chest. He lips made a straight line and he inhaled deeply.

"We need to talk." He finally said looking at Meri in sadness. She looked so much like her mother, it sometimes hurt to look at her.

"Yeah I think we do." I said I waved at Luna who was holding August hand and staring at Draco in fascination. "Take her up to Lily and James, we'll be there shortly." She nodded and took Meri.

"Da." She whined reaching for me. I leaned over and kissed the top of her head.

"Go with Luna little one, we'll be there before you know it." I say and she gave me a smile.

"Love you." She cooed blowing a kiss at me as Luna left.

That's when I decided something.I let him take her mother from me, I wasn't going to let him take Meri. I don't care if she's his daughter, she belongs with us. I wasn't going to lose her without a fight.