Demiguise

"What is it that you do son, if you don't mind me asking." Mr.Potter said as he cut his steak. I took a large drink of the red wine knowing someone would eventually ask.

"Nothing at the moment. I won the Triwizard tournament a few years back.I was with the Cannons for a couple years. My father wanted me to go into the Ministry." I explained poking at the steak on my plate.

"Are you considering rejoining the Cannons dear." Mrs.Parker asked. She meant well all mothers do. I really didn't feel like going though this again but I had to.

"Um, No ma'am. I was injured pretty bad. In fact that's how your son became friends." I shifted their attention towards Potter and he told them about being sent to my team to be the team physician all those years ago. We had met back at Hogwarts but he was a few years behind me and in a different house. Something kicked me softly under the table, I look up at Hermione she's has a playful smile and motions her head towards her parents. She says a silent I'm sorry to me. I give her half a smile and a shrug.

"Cedric would you like to stay here until you decide what you want to do." Mr.Potter asked pulling my attention from his alluring daughter that looked nothing like him.

"My grandda always told me a man should earn his keep so if you'd be okay with me doing some work around here I'd be happy to stay." I answered mostly because staying busy keeps my mind busy.

"I'm sure we can arrange something but for now just enjoy being our guest." He said as he continued to eat.

"Cedric is your food okay, I can get you some thing else.I think there's some fish left over." Mrs.Parker asked pointing at my uneaten food.

"Still feeling a little road weary, I'm sorry it is delicious." I took a small bite of the steak to satisfied her. Isla shook her head at me and returned to her plate. It had mostly green vegetables and some fish.

"Oh Mione before I forget, your editor called to remind you of your deadline in two weeks." Her mother said gaining the young woman attention.

"I'm aware mom, I finished the last page today. Just have to type out the story." She gave her mother a warm smile .

"Why don't you take Cedric with you when you go mail them. You know we don't like you going into town by yourself." Her father said looking at us with happy look.

"I know and I'll be happy to have some company. Would you be okay helping my lug around a bunch of paintings?" She asked me. I would be okay lugging around a elephant if it meant I could be near her. So like a mute idjit I nodded.

"Good, mother are you enjoying your dinner? I'm glad you decided to join us in welcoming Cedric." Mr.Potter asked his mother with the same warm smile his son has.

"I'm glad I did too, he's a most interesting young person." I blushed under her compliment. "Now promise me you'll have one of my grandchildren bring you to my home." She reaches her hand and grabbed my wrist in a maternal way.

"Anything for you Mrs. Potter, She reminded me of the sweetness of my grandma but had the same mischievous nature that my grandda had.

"Oh posh, you call me Evelyn or Evie." I nodded and gave her a smile. After dinner Mrs.Potter or Lily as I was instructed to call her suggested we go to the backyard for dessert. Again I assisted Evelyn to the next room. Out of the corner of my eye I notice Hermione had the slightest hint of a limp.

A loud squawk cut though the insect sounds and the black creature flew by and landed on her shoulder.

"Sowerby, behave." She patted its beak and it made a noise at her and flew off to a ledge near her.

"Strangest thing I've ever seen, black menace follows her everywhere." Evelyn whispered at me as Mione came toward us. She took the seat next to her grandmother. I sat on the other side.

"Sowerby, as in Dickon Sowerby?" I asked trying to make a conversation with her. Her face light up and she nodded happily.

"You've read Secret Garden too?" She looked so happy, her pale skin seemed to glow under the moonlight. Making her look like some preternatural creature.

"I've read a lot of books while I was recovering. That one was particularly interesting. Little children having secret that big. Can you imagine?" Her grandmother choke on a stifled laugh.

"Grams." Hermiones' voice had a warning to it. "I can imagine many things Cedric . Everyone has secrets why should children be any different? I'm sure you have secrets. Care to share them Cedric?" Her words seemed to have a melodic sound and I couldn't help but want to tell her everything.

"Hermione you've made your point, go help mom with dessert. " Harrys' loud voice cut though the tension between us. She glared at him and walked off. He came over and grabbed my wrist to check my pulse.

"He's fine, Harry calm down." His grandmother said. He ignored her and pulled out his wand and said the lumos spell before he shined it in my eyes.

"Potter! Get off." I snarled at him batting his hands away. " What the hell are you doing. "

" See he's fine.Now Cedric we were talking about books. Do you have a favorite?" His grandmother shooed him away from us, he reluctantly agreed storming off towards the kitchen.

"When I was a child my grandda read me tale of beetle the bard. It was my favorite for years but during my recovery I discover the muggle Robert Frost. Have you read any of his poetry?" She nodded.

"Hermione comes by and reads to me. We've been reading about The invisible man. Have you read that one yet."

"No ma'am maybe I could come and hear it with you." The book sounded interesting but I was just trying to think of ways to spend time with Hermione without making everyone suspicious.

"Maybe after a few days of being here. Takes awhile to adjust." Harry said returning with a agitated Mione and a frustrated Lily. They passed dessert to everyone and we ate in relative silence. 

" Well this has lost its entertainment for me. Take me to my driver Cedric." She got up with my help and her grandchildren hugged her. She whispered something into Hermione ear and she turned red. I then helped her down the long hallway towards her driver.

"Did I do something wrong?" I asked the kind woman.

"No dear boy not at all. There are things you don't understand but you didn't do anything wrong. Harry has always been over protective of Hermione.Plus being a doctor makes him worry about everyone's health." She patted my arm as I helped her into the car. " Just try to keep you wits about you the next few days and you'll be fine." I nodded and waved as she drove off. I decided to go to the guest house instead of the main house. My head still felt a little foggy side so I laid down on the bed without taking my clothes off. A loud squawk woke me from my dreamless sleep.

"I'm going to kill that damn bird." I mumble to myself, then I realized that meant she was nearby. I looked out my window and saw a figure running from the direction of the ocean. Her laugh echoing in the wind. What she doing out so late and why was she by the water. Shaking my head I went back to bed her laugh running though my head, keeping the nightmares at bay.