Chapter 1

"Earth to Grace!" Shannon elbowed her.

"What?" Grace answered, turning her attention back to her friend.

"You're staring." Stacy commented.

"I'm sorry, I thought I saw someone I know from home." She smiled as she turned back to search the restaurant. It was fairly busy this time of day.

Grace couldn't concentrate on the conversation around her. Her pulse rate picked up when she thought she saw Liza walk into the restaurant. She's not sure how it can be possible.  Last she knew, Liza was in Iraq.  After deciding she'd call her sister later tonight to check in, she tried to tune back in.

"Seriously, Grace, you've become a space case since we sat down. What's the matter?"

"Nothing, just the stress of midterms." She replied as she played with her napkin.

"Are you going home for the weekend?" Rachel asked.

"I don't know yet. I thought of just staying here and getting a jump on next term.  I might be able to get out of here a few weeks early if I do."

"You know, Paul's throwing a party and he'd really like you to be there." Shannon said.

The four girls were roommates. Grace and Rachel for almost four years now and have become best friends during that time. Shannon and Stacy were two years behind them in school. Grace caught  sight of the group of soldiers again and she held her breath, letting it out abruptly when she realized she hadn't been wishful thinking. Grace would recognize the short haired brunette anywhere. Liza is really here!

Liza turned towards her name being called. Her gaze settled on a group of girls in a corner booth. She smiled when her eyes met the redhead from her dreams.

"I'll be back." She told her squad. She knew Grace was in Lincoln for school but never thought she'd actually run into her. "Stay calm." She told herself as she made her way over. She couldn't stop the grin that formed on her face as she watched a blonde girl get up to let Grace out of the booth.

Grace wrapped her arms around Liza in a tight hug when she reached her, with Liza's arms automatically coming around in return.  "Hey Soldier Girl, nice to see you! What are you doing here?"

Liza laughed as she released her hold, "Lunch."

"I see that. I meant in Lincoln. Last I knew you were in Iraq."

"Oh!  Well, I've been stateside for about three weeks now." Liza replied, feeling a little regret for not making contact with Grace while she was here. She had chosen not to because she didn't know if she'd be able to handle seeing her. Grace was the reason she joined the Army to begin with, but the only people that knew were Jess and Grandma Jessie.

"Really? How long are you in Lincoln for?" Grace asked while trying to keep the hurt out of her voice. Liza shrugged, bowing her head embarrassed.  Grace smirked, linking her hand with Liza's and started slowly leading her to the table,  "Come meet my friends."

"Gang, this is Liza. Liza meet Rachel, Stacy, and Shannon." Liza nodded to each as they said hello around the table.

"Can you join us or are you working?" Grace asked, indicating the group of soldiers Liza came in with as she got Shannon to scoot around the table.

"I'm not working actually. Let me go talk to my guys. I'll be right back." Liza hoped she was making the right decision as she made her way over to her group.

"Hey, Sarge! Are you trading us in for a group of college girls?" Davis snickered. She'd been with these guys long enough to know not to take the teasing seriously. They knew she was gay, there weren't any secrets with these guys. They'd held each other's lives in the others' hands; they couldn't afford secrets.