Chapter 24

There were flowers everywhere in the room when Grace woke the next morning. She slowly slipped from the bed, careful not to wake Liza. Grace didn't recall waking at all through the night so she was hoping Liza slept just as well. The brunette never even flinched when the nurse came in late last night with another shot of pain medication.

Grace checked her phone on her way to the bathroom. Going through her text messages and checking the time, she realized they're going to have company soon. She grabbed clean clothes from the duffel bag and stepped into the bathroom. After changing her clothes and brushing her teeth, she left the bathroom to get a brush from her purse.

"Let me." Liza said when Grace reached up to unbraid her hair.

Grace helped Liza sit up and swing her legs over the side of the bed. The brunette stood and slowly made her way to the bathroom. When she returned she sat on the bed and Grace climbed up to sit between her legs.

Liza unbraided Grace's hair and slowly brushed it out before meticulously rebraiding it. When she was done she pulled Grace back against her.

"Ouch, okay that won't work." Liza said.

"Let's see if we can get you dressed sweetheart." Grace suggested.

Grace got up to get the duffel and brought it to the bed. Liza stood up to go through the bag as Grace pulled the curtain closed behind them. Grace untied the back of the hospital gown and

Liza allowed it to fall to the bed. Slowly raising her arms above her head, Liza let Grace slip a t-shirt on her.

The brunette hissed out a breath when she lowered her arms, "Looks like I'll be going braless for a while."

"I imagine your vest isn't going to be very comfortable either." Grace said, helping her finish dressing.

"I need to order a new one. I'll have to wear my military vest until a new one comes." Liza commented.

Grace packed everything back into the duffel and put it back in the corner. She crawled into the middle of the bed so that Liza could sit between her legs and lean back against her then wrapped her arms over Liza's shoulders.

Liza turned her head to use Grace's arm as a pillow, "I could go back to sleep."

"Go ahead. At least until everyone gets here." Grace suggested.

Rachel arrived at the hospital before anyone else, having borrowed Liza's truck. She hadn't had much opportunity to talk with the couple the night before so she hoped to do so this morning. She knocked before opening the door. Finding the couple asleep made her smile. Grace had been restless most of the week so it was nice to see her getting some sleep. How the pair was coping with the chaos was what she was worried about.

Not really wanting to wake them but she knew that this could be the only time she'll get a few minutes with her best friend. She gently rubbed Grace's arm causing the redhead to smile when she opened her eyes and turned her head.

"Morning." Rachel said softly, "How was your night?"

"We both slept all night."

"That's good. I was starting to worry about you. Everybody will be here shortly." Rachel said.

"Are you heading back to Lincoln today?" Grace asked.

"David wants me to but I haven't decided yet. Being here is nice, we can relax without constantly looking over our shoulders."

"Liza said it wouldn't be hard for him to find us here." Grace commented.

"She made sure everyone has his picture though." Rachel laughed, "Doug was very talkative last night. We all went to the bar when we left here. Sheriff Baxter forced the feds to finish up their end of things and get out. It was pretty entertaining watching that laid back country boy put that government agent in his place."