Chapter 23

By lunchtime Liza needed a break. The feds had taken over the station. They had a source that informed them where Dennis could be found later in the day. So everyone was running around putting the last minute details together to apprehend him. Jake's cousin Sean, had stopped by Monday after all the meetings. So Baxter made a few calls to check him out and Sean was hired right then and there.

Liza had spent the rest of Monday training him and she was very happy to realize that he was a fast learner and very competent. They put him on to take up the slack for Riggs which put everyone back to eight hour shifts.

"Sheriff." Liza said as she entered their shared office. "With our new friends all over the place and the new hire, I'd like to knock off early to go spend some time with Grace."

Baxter put down the file he was reading and looked up at Liza, "How she holding up?"

Liza shrugged before sitting down across the desk from him, "She says she's okay but I can hear it in her voice that being trapped in her apartment and having a babysitter is getting to her. So, I figure if I can meet her halfway then we can have dinner and give her a break and me peace of mind."

He leaned back and contemplated. He'd been watching her close the last few days. The feds coming and and stepping all over her toes and implying that her family's bar was involved with Dennis Lynch added to the stress of waiting on her orders and worry over Grace, he was surprised she was still sane.

"Take off at lunch time. I think we can handle things here." Baxter finally answered. "Be sure to take that girl of yours some flowers!"

Liza laughed, "I will, thank you sir." She made her way back out to the main office to finish up some paperwork. Taking her phone out of her leg pocket as she walked.

"Can you get away to meet me halfway for a few hours today?" She texted Grace.

Grace's response was almost immediate, "Yes, but if we're meeting halfway let's make it a night. Get a room?"

Liza smiled when she read the reply. "I love the way you think! I can leave at lunch time. Have to stop by to talk to Dad for a few minutes on my way out of town."

"Text me when you leave home!" Grace responded.

"Take the long way around Lincoln to make sure you're not followed!" Liza insisted.

"I'll be careful. C u soon! Love u!"

"Can't wait! Love u 2!" Liza smiled before slipping the phone back in her pocket.

"What are you so happy about?" Lacey asked when she came back from lunch.

"She's got a date." Doug said from his corner of the world.

"Date?" Lacey asked, "Something we need to know Chief?"

"What?" Liza asked, turning to face Lacey. "Oh! No! I'm meeting Grace later."

"Good thing, for a second there I was a little worried." Lacey laughed.

"Must be nice to get out of here. Away from all this madness." Doug sighed, tossing his pen on the desk as he leaned back in his chair.

"You big baby! Must be nice to go home every night and cuddle with your wife." Lacey said.

Liza finished up her paperwork and filed it as she listened to the back and forth banter.

"Okay, point taken. Sorry Chief, I didn't mean any offense." Doug said.

"It's alright Doug, I didn't take offense. I'll see you guys tomorrow." Liza said.