Chapter 38

The next several days drug for both women as each threw themselves into whatever they could to distract themselves from thinking about the other. Grace spent her time volunteering at the local clinics for the extra hands on experience. When the time came for final exams she was tired but she was ready. At this point in her life most of it had all become second nature to her. On more than one night Rachel had checked on the redhead to find her sleeping with her laptop in hopes for a video call from Liza.

Liza and her squad were up before the sun every morning and usually down long after the sun had set. She would push through each day looking forward to the emails she would have waiting for her when she managed to have a few minutes each night to read and respond to them. She was determined to get a video call in even if it meant missing a meal.

Grace kept telling herself the Liza was busy, she had a job to do and she would call when she could. Loni told her that Joe's communications home weren't any different than Liza's. She wasn't happy to hear that Liza had purposely been leaving details of their daily routine out of her emails. But she figured it was the brunette's way of trying to make it easier on her. Grace would check her email first thing every morning knowing that Liza would answer right before bed and as soon as she got up each morning.

"Hey Grace!" Sloan greeted. She knew Liza was expecting the call any minute so she was listening for it while Liza was out of the room. "She just stepped out, let me get her." The young woman carried the tablet with her when she left the room to look for Liza.

"Thanks Erin." Grace replied.

"Sarge!" Sloan yelled from the doorway. "Where's the Sarge?"

"She's outside." Dalton answered. "Something happened with Walker."

"Hang on Grace, let me check." Sloan said as she walked through the barracks. She opened the door to the outside to hear yelling and to see Liza and another Sergeant toe to toe. The man had almost a foot in height over Liza but she was in his face as best she could be despite the difference.

She yelled for Dalton as she moved to the side of the door. Once Sloan stopped moving the camera focused and allowed Grace to watch the taller man shove Liza only to have her back in his face again. She couldn't make out what was being said but it was apparent that Liza was pissed. Joe and Walker were trying to get Liza to back down when the other soldier threw a punch. Liza ducked it only for the man's fist to connect with Walker's face as he stepped forward.

"Grace, she'll have to call you back. I'll make sure of it." Sloan disconnected the call and joined the commotion.

"You're a loose canon Dawes and so is that kid. He's got no business detaining my squad."

"He was doing his job and if you don't like it then take it up with the Company Commander. Don't you ever come after one of my squad again. You have a problem, come to me or the Company Commander." Liza replied as she shoved him out of her face. "Lucky for you I can't arrest you for being a bigot."

"Keep your faggot squad out of my way Dawes." Sergeant Adley demanded.

Liza swung with all of her might, connecting with the man's cheek. His fist in turn connected with her face just before they ended up rolling around on the ground. Liza had her knee in his back, getting the plastic cuffs on his wrists when a jeep came to a stop a few feet away.

Everyone hanging around immediately jumped to attention when the Company Commander exited the jeep.

"As you were." He said as he approached Liza and Joe as they pulled Sergeant Adley to his feet. "Corporal."

"Sir." Joe answered.

"Get that Private to the infirmary."

"Sir, yes sir." Joe turned and signalled for a couple of the others to get Walker taken care of.