Chapter 22

Liza pulled up in front of the church. She radioed to dispatch her location and unfastened her thigh holster. She wasn't especially comfortable attending church in uniform but leaving her side arm in her truck made her feel a little better for attending church on duty. She met up with her dad and Louise as they were making their way to the door of the church.

"Hi." She shook her dad's hand before kissing Louise on the cheek. "Can we talk for a minute?"

They both agreed and moved off to the side out of hearing range of the rest of the church members walking past.

"Everything okay?" Rodger asked.

"How's Grace?" Louise asked.

Liza smiled at Louise, "She's doing good, thanks for asking." She took a deep breath, trying to force the sadness away that kept trying to creep in every time she thought about getting orders.

She looked at her dad, "I got orders to report in early for my next Battle Assembly. Well, Joe and I both did."

"Oh dear!" Louise said.

"But that doesn't mean anything." Rodger commented. "Just the two of you or the whole squad?"

"Just the two of us, so you're right it doesn't necessarily mean anything but with everything that's going on with North Korea we could get deployed."

"I see." Rodger said solemnly.

"But you're getting out. They can't do this to you." Louise objected.

"Unfortunately they can do whatever they want for another two years." Liza responded. "I finish my current tour in a few weeks and can come home for good but if at anytime for the next two years something happens I can be called in and there's nothing I can do."

"What about Grace? How do you leave her?" Louise asked, nodding in the direction of the redhead getting out of her truck.

Liza turned to watch Grace approach, "Very painfully."

"Come see me sometime this week after work please?" Rodger asked and Liza nodded her head as she turned to walk to Grace.

"You taste like strawberries." Liza said after kissing the redhead.

"I had strawberries with my pancakes and thought of you with every bite!" Grace teased.

Liza smiled as she leaned in for another kiss, "I think I need another taste."

"Knock it off, we're at church." Cali laughed, playfully slapping Liza's shoulder.

"Hey, that's assaulting an officer!" Liza called out.

Cali turned around to look at the couple, "Arrest me then!"

"You'd claim brutality!" Liza and Grace both laughed as they joined the others and turned toward the Church.

When the service was over Liza stopped Jess, "What's on the menu?"

"Burgers and hotdogs." Jess answered.

"Who's cooking?" Liza asked as the three of them slowly walked toward the parking lot.

"I think Cali is."

"She'll take care of your grill sweetheart." Grace smiled.

"She cooks too high!" Liza whined.

"I promise I will protect your grill. If you can manage a half hour come home and see for yourself. I can text you when we're ready to eat." Grace assured.

Jess hugged each, "I'll see you both at home." And walked away.

Liza faced Grace completely, hands on the redheads hips. "Are you sure you want to wait until I get home to head back to Lincoln? It's going to be a late night."