Chapter 26

Liza found herself in bed alone Saturday morning soaked in sweat from the nightmare of not getting to Meg in time to save her at the bar. She knew that the dreams were going to come and she knows that they will go away, just like she told Meg but that didn't make getting through them any easier. She had discovered that as long as Grace was beside her through the night they never got real bad. Swinging her feet over the side of the bed, she found the fresh bottle of water on the bedside table. Smiling she reached for it and downed half of it before making her way down the stairs to the bathroom. A quick shower and fresh clothes went a long way to making her feel human enough to go search for her green eyed redhead.

Liza found bacon and pancakes in the microwave when she wandered downstairs. Grabbing a few pieces of bacon she stepped out onto the porch.

"Hello Sergeant." Rachel said from the rocking chair to her right.

Liza turned, "Hi." She said to both Rachel and David.

"That looks pretty nasty." David said, indicating the bruise showing at the bottom of Liza's half tank top.

"Yeah, bruises always look nastier than they are." Liza said.

"How's the ribs?" Rachel asked.

"Better, I'm looking forward to not needing ice." Liza sat down on the porch rail. "Where is everybody?"

"The last I heard, the Phillips sisters were headed to the barn, arguing over whether or not Grace was walking across the stage for graduation. The James sisters went into town to get groceries and your pain meds." Rachel answered.

Liza stood, "I guess I'll go mediate in the barn."

"Are you sure you want to?" David asked, "No offense but those two are scary when they're mad."

Liza laughed, "Grace is the only one that scares me. I've thrown Cali in the pond too many times to be afraid of her."

"I just don't understand what the big deal is. I have my degree, why do I need the ceremony?" Grace asked.

"Because the ceremony isn't for just you. It's for your family too. You might have done all the work but we earned it too. Not getting to see you, worrying if you're okay. I've been looking forward to watching you walk that stage. I've watched you bust your butt more than any one person should have to in order to be where you are." Cali said back. "You've achieved so much in such a short amount of time. That degree is two years early because of all the hard work you've put in."

"Then why is it not up to me if I walk the stage or not? Not everyone is going to be there anyway."

"I'm sorry Grace. I can't make her want to be there. I've begged her multiple times to come here. I don't know what more I can do." Cali said, "Mom is in her own little world and we're not a part of it." Seeing the tears in her sister's eyes, Cali stepped forward and pulled her into a hug.

Liza found them both crying and carefully wrapped her arms around the pair.

Cali pulled back first, wiping her eyes, "Aren't you supposed to be resting?"

"I was. I woke up alone and came looking for everyone. I could hear you two yelling clear to the porch." Liza answered.

"We're better now." Grace said. She met Cali's eyes and both women smiled.

They heard a car horn, "Looks like the supply run has made it back." Cali said and walked off to help Jess and Meg with the groceries.

Liza turned to Grace, cupping the redhead's face in her hands and she asked "Are you okay?"