Chapter 39

Grace laid in their bed at home waiting for Liza's call. The brunette had emailed to tell her she'd be able to call but it would be in the middle of the night for Grace.

"Hi Sweetheart." Grace said when Liza's face filled the screen.

"Hey my Love! We head home tomorrow!"

"Really?" Grace asked excitedly.

"We'll be stateside in two days. We have to debrief at Fort Dix but that shouldn't be too long since we've been without incident here."

"I can't wait to see you face to face."

"In just a few days I'll have you in my arms." Liza smiled.

"I miss you so much."

"Me too. But we'll be on our way tomorrow afternoon. We have a short escort in the morning then back by lunch time to board a plane home."

"Don't talk too loud Sarge or you're going to jinx us." Sloan said in the background.

"She's got a good point Sweetheart." Grace said.

"I know." Liza sighed.

"There's the muster call for mess." Sloan said.

"I have to go Babe. I'll call you before we board. Go back to sleep. I love you."

"I love you too. Bye Erin." Grace said.

"Bye Grace." Sloan said before Liza disconnected the chat. Grace put her laptop on the bed next to her as the two women, halfway around the world headed out to get something to eat.

"Hey Sarge! We've been ordered back to base." Joe said over the radio.

"Copy that." Liza replied over her throat mic. "Make it happen."

Dalton looked over at her when she signaled for him to follow the other humvees as they turned around. "Maybe we caught a break."

"Doubt it. Sloan, watch our six."

"Yes, Sergeant." Sloan answered as she swung the 50 caliber turret to the rear of the small convoy.

"What the hell?" Dalton asked as the convoy came to a stop outside of what was left of the gate.

The remains of a small truck was burning where the guard shack once stood. Liza looked over to see three body bags and several wounded. She felt guilty as she breathed a sigh of relief that her squad was out on escort detail instead of gate duty. Walking over, she knelt down and unzipped one of the body bags.

"Get away from my men Dawes." Sergeant Adley yelled.

Liza looked over as she stood, noticing that Sergeant Adley was talking with their Platoon Leader and two local men.

"All three were his." Joe said quietly as he approached Liza's side.

Liza nodded as she turned back to look at the bodies. "This was intentional. Let's go find out what's going on."

Joe followed her over. Sergeant Adley was dismissed during their approach. Liza watched him as she was filled in on what happened.

"What's your impression of Sergeant Adley?"

"Hot headed. He's not going to take this lying down." Liza answered.

"I got the same read. He's taking this personally. The people claiming responsibility for this car bomb is part of the group he's been dealing with around here."