Chapter 37

"Welcome to Bagram Air Base, your temporary home away from home." Liza heard someone sarcastically mutter behind her as the C-17 taxied to a stop.

As soon as her squad was squared away Liza went to check in with the platoon leader for their orders. After getting her squad's orders and barracks assignment she made her way back over to them. She picked up her gear and without question her squad did the same and followed her. Once inside their assigned wooden box of a home she looked everyone over, noticing how tired everyone was. The long flights allowed down time but a person could only get so much sleep sitting up.

"Home sweet home lady & gents. Shared latrine by the way." She walked to a door at the back of the building and opened it to look in. Seeing two separate bunks she said "Sloan, in there."

She set her gear on the bunk that Sloan didn't take and the two women returned to the main room.

"Lucky for you tards the platoon leader is just as exhausted as we are and is cutting us slack for the night. Briefing at 0900. Go ahead and touch base with your families but keep in mind the time change. I've been informed the signal is clear so video if you have the means but make sure to use your headsets. Good night." With that said she walked through the door and dropped onto her bunk.

Sloan came in, closing the door behind her.

"Do you have anyone to call?" Liza asked.

"No, I don't but thanks." Sloan grabbed her duffel and began putting things away in the foot locker at the foot of her bunk.

"I don't think I snore or talk in my sleep. If I do, the guys have never said." Liza said as she too started unpacking. She turned around and caught Sloan's questioning look, "What?"

"What do you mean that the guys have never said?"

"Oh well, I've never bunked separate from them before." Liza took an armload of clothes over to put in her locker.

"But you're a woman."

"And I've always preferred to be treated as a soldier, just like them."

"So all the rumors I've heard about you are true then." Sloan said as she sat down.

Liza laughed, "That depends on the rumor and who tells it. If you have any questions just ask."

"You might regret that offer." Sloan warned.

"Not likely." Liza said as she sat back down. "Go ahead, fire away." When Sloan still didn't say anything Liza offered, "You can ask any one of those guys out there, well except Walker but only because he doesn't know me yet. But, I have an open door policy. We all know a lot about each other. Take for example, I've got two guys out there that are expecting babies by the end of the year. There's another one getting married in two months. I'll about guarantee that Dalton has a big bag of homemade chocolate chip cookies in his ruck that his Nana baked him the morning we flew out of Lincoln." To demonstrate she stood to open the door. "Dalton, I need two!"

"Sarge, come on!" The big man pleaded.

"One is for Little Sis." Liza replied.

"Okay."

"Thanks." Liza laughed as she took the cookies from the big man. She left the door open and sat back down, handing a cookie to Sloan as she did so. "Knowing the details is what makes us a family and being a family is a bond that helps us through all of the crap we have to deal with." Liza stood and went to the door again. "Shout when the shower is free, remember there's a lady in house."

Sloan laughed when Liza return to her bunk.

"They'll shout when they're all done in the shower so you can have it."