Chapter 29

Liza got off shift late Thursday evening. Her communications with Grace during the last few days were sporadic at best. The redhead was pushing to get extra lab time in before graduation. Their last phone conversation was just before Liza got off work and Grace had suggested she go home to get some sleep and make the drive to Lincoln in the morning.

"Hey you!" Jess said when Liza walked into the kitchen.

"Hey." Liza replied, unbuttoning her uniform shirt. She paused on her way to the laundry room to kiss Jess's cheek.

"Grace called me a little bit ago." Jess stated.

"And?" Liza asked when she returned to the kitchen.

"I'm supposed to make sure you eat something before you go to bed." Jess answered.

"Okay. I'm going to go take a shower." Liza said and left the kitchen.

Twenty minutes later Liza stepped into the kitchen as Jess was putting a bottle of water in a small lunch box.

Offering the lunchbox to Liza, Jess said, "There's a sandwich, chips, some grapes and a bottle of water."

Liza looked at her questioningly, "What for?"

"To eat on the way to Lincoln. I don't imagine you've eaten since lunch and it's almost nine now."

The brunette smiled, taking the lunchbox. "No, I haven't. Thank you."

"I won't tell her you're coming if you promise to pull over if you feel tired."

"Promise." She hugged Jess before walking out to get in her truck. Having packed last night and put it all in the backseat already, she was ready to head to Lincoln.

She synced her phone as soon as she got in and pulled up her favorite playlist, knowing she'd need the music to stimulate her mind in order to make the three hour drive. As she listened she mentally recapped the last few days.

After her emotional upheaval with her sisters Monday morning and then her video chat with Grace, she decided to go see her dad. She knew in her gut that they were being deployed and experience had taught her not to leave out with any unresolved issues. The only she had left were dealing with her dad and Meg's nagging about seeking out her mother's family. The latter would have to wait until after her deployment like she had promised Meg, but dealing with her dad couldn't wait any longer.

Rodger was just coming out of the garage with his fishing gear when Liza pulled in.

"Is this a bad time dad?" Liza asked through her open window.

"Not if you want to go fishing with me." He answered.

"Sure. Hop in, I've got a pole under the backseat and I know the perfect spot." Liza said with a smile.

"This is a beautiful area." Rodger said as Liza drove through the apple orchard.

She nodded, "It'll be mine in a few weeks." She looked out over the hollow as she rounded the hill and drove toward the water. "I'm buying the piece from the county that's between yours and the river and the land we're on now I've inherited from Grandma Jessie."

"It's nice land. What are you going to do with it all?"

They got out of the truck when she stopped at one of her fishing holes up river from her's and Grace's picnic spot. After she got her pole out from under the seat and got two camp chairs out of the tool box in the back of the truck she turned and pointed back the way they came.

"I'm going to build a house in the hollow over there up against the hill."

"Lot's of privacy." Rodger observed.