Chapter 17

It was just barely starting to get light when Liza breathed in Grace's scent. Without opening her eyes she felt around for the blanket, finding it, she pulled it up over their heads to shut out the world for a little bit longer. She wrapped her arm around Grace's stomach, holding her tight. Grace sleepily stretched her body then, pressing up against Liza as she did so, causing Liza to quietly moan into Grace's neck.

Finding the hem of Grace's tank top, Liza slips her hand under it to caress warm, bare skin. Moving her hand softly across her stomach, over her ribs and just brushing her breasts and slowly back down.

"Liza." Grace breathed heavily.

"Hmm?"

"We're not alone sweetheart."

Liza raised up on her hand, blanket falling from covering them and looked around. Grace rolled on to her back to look up at the brunette.

"Crap." Pulling the blanket back over their heads, Liza looked down at Grace, "I forgot we're not in the loft."

Grace softly laughed as Liza dropped her head on the redhead's chest with a groan. "Happy Birthday Soldier Girl!"

Liza lifted her head to look at Grace, "Thank you."

Grace reached up and brushed Liza's hair behind her ear then urged her down for a kiss.

"Maybe we should get up and make breakfast for a change, instead of Jess." Liza suggested.

"But it's your birthday."

Liza shrugged, "We can't make love, so we might as well make breakfast."

They got out of the truck and walked hand in hand to the house. They stepped through the backdoor in time to see John slip out the front. Both women rushed to the front of the house to look out the windows to see him disappear around the hedges along the side of the yard. Liza turned to look up the stairs to see if she could see Jess. Not finding her, she motioned for Grace to follow her back to the kitchen.

"We're not letting that slide." Liza said with a smile.

Grace moved to turn on the coffee pot, "What do you have in mind?"

"I don't know, yet." She answered, getting bacon from the fridge.

They set to making breakfast. Liza got the bacon started then went about cutting up watermelon while Grace got out the griddle to start the pancakes. Twenty minutes later they heard movement upstairs.

"Here she comes." Grace whispered.

"Follow my lead." Liza smiled and Grace nodded.

"Good morning!" Jess said when she entered the kitchen in her bathrobe and a towel around her head. "Happy Birthday!" she said to Liza before kissing her cheek.

"Good morning and thank you." Liza replied.

Grace handed Jess a cup of coffee before putting a bowl of watermelon on the table.

"I'll take over Liza, it's your birthday." Jess offered.

"You always cook, I can do it for a change." Liza replied as she looked at Jess, "Are you okay? You look a little flushed."

"You do, are you alright? Maybe you better sit down." Grace said.

"Don't be silly, I'm fine. I haven't been sick a day in my life." Jess replied.

"Oh, so Dr. John wasn't making a house call just now?" Liza asked, grinning ear to ear as she looked at Jess.

Jess was speechless, her mouth hanging open.