Chapter 15

It had seemed like a long week but Friday was finally here. Liza had only left town once to head for Lincoln when she couldn't reach Grace. She was twenty miles out of town when Rachel called to say that Grace was fine, her phone had died. They had spent more time on the phone this week than they usually did because Liza broke her own rule of no personal calls during duty. Every time she found herself with five minutes she called Grace just to hear her voice.

Now, it's Friday afternoon and Grace was due in any minute. Joe had called to say that they'd be in around five. Liza had just finished filing some reports when she sensed movement beside her. She turned to find Grace leaning in her doorway.

They stepped into each other's arms and just held on. Liza pulled back just enough to find Grace's lips.

Grace looked closely at Liza's face, cupping her cheek in her hand, "You're not sleeping." She rubbed her thumb under Liza's eyes, "Nightmares?"

Liza backed up to lean on the edge of her desk, "No, just can't sleep."

Grace closed the distance between them, stopping between Liza's knees. Placing her hands on Liza's thighs, Grace rested her head on Liza's shoulder. "What's keeping you up?" She asked before burying her face in Liza's neck.

"Work and missing you." Liza placed her hands on Grace's hips, "Last night it was cramps more than anything."

Grace sighed, "Tell me about it. I had to go buy a new heating pad yesterday since mine decided to quit through the night."

Liza kissed her shoulder, "Who all is with you?"

"Just Rachel and Meg. Jess is finishing up at the clinic and Cali said she'll be here as soon as Mike shows up to run the bar."

"I figured he'd come with her." Liza commented.

"He said something about not wanting to be surrounded by a bunch of cops." Grace chuckled.

Liza laughed, "I don't blame him, I almost don't want to be here."

Dorothy appeared in the doorway, "Well hello little Miss Grace!" She smiled brightly.

Grace turned to hug the older woman, "How have you been Dorothy?"

Liza moved to lean her shoulder against the file cabinet just inside the door, smiling at the two women. She had become quite fond of Dorothy, the older woman put off a motherly vibe that drew people in.

"I've been good and I must say that I really like seeing the smile you've put on our Chief's face!" She laughed when she noticed Liza's blush. "She's been extra moody this week."

Grace moved to Liza's side and wrapped an arm around her waist, "It's been a bad week."

Dorothy stepped forward and patted both younger women on their cheeks, "You two are just so adorable together." She laughed, "I never realized you blush so easily Chief!"

"Let's keep it between us please!" Liza laughed. "Did you need something Dorothy?"

"Oh, sorry! Yes, we have people arriving." She casted a glance at Grace before adding, "Doug's family."

"Okay thank you. We'll be right out." Liza turned to wrap her arms around Grace, "That was her way of telling us that Diane is here."

Grace met Liza's eyes and sighed.

"No comment?" Liza asked good naturedly.

"I'm reserving judgement. None of us are who we were six years ago. Maybe she'll be more tolerable."

Liza laughed, "Was she really that bad?"

"It's not really fair to ask me that. As far as I'm concerned she stole you away."