Chapter 5

When the alarm went off the next morning Liza crawled over Grace to turn it off.

"What time is it?"

"Five." Liza answered as she got out of bed to dress.

"Why do you have to get up so early?" Grace moaned as she stretched.

"So I can get a run in before I go to work." Once dressed Liza rested one knee on the bed to lean over to kiss Grace, "Go back to sleep, I'll wake you before I leave."

When Grace mumbled her reply Liza left the room. The house was quiet as she stepped out the backdoor. She did her usual stretches before taking off for a short run. When she got back Jess and Rachel were in the kitchen.

"Morning, I'd have gone with you if I'd known you were going." Rachel said.

"Five tomorrow." Liza replied as she got a bottle of water from the fridge.

"I didn't hear you prowling at all hours, did you sleep better last night?" Jess asked, smiling behind her coffee cup.

"As a matter of fact I did and that is ALL that we did."

"I generally try to grocery shop on Wednesdays so make me a list."

Rachel laughed, "That's easy, fruit and bottled water. No pizza."

Liza groaned before asking Jess "You still have a card to my account?"

"Yes, I'll leave your receipts with your mail."

"Thanks, I'm headed for a shower."

Liza stepped from the shower and wrapped up in a towel before climbing the stairs to her room. Grace appeared to be sleeping when she opened the door. Liza dropped her dirty clothes in a hamper and stepped to the dresser to get clothes. She dropped her towel to the floor and opened a drawer for underwear and a bra. She just pulled her boy shorts on when she caught Grace's gaze in the mirror. Her gaze stayed locked with Grace's as she pulled her bra on. Turning, she recaptured Grace's eyes directly. She slowly walked to the bed, knelt down over Grace and captured her lips hungrily. They were both breathing heavily when Liza pulled back to look at Grace.

"Not fair." Liza said before nipping at Grace's bottom lip.

"What's not fair?" Grace managed to ask, her stomach full of butterflies.

"It's not fair for you to look at me like that when I don't have time to do anything about it." Liza answered then reclaimed Grace's lips. Liza pulled back, "I have to get ready for work." Liza stood and turned to the closet. After grabbing a pair of tan cargo pants and her boots she went to her dresser for socks and saw that Grace was still watching her. She pulled her pants on and sat down on the bed to put on her socks and boots.

"I'm seriously going to need a cold shower before I go if you keep looking at me like that." Liza knelt back over Grace, "I can't be late on my first day." After another moment Liza stood, "I have to go." She moved to the dresser to pick up her dog tags and put them on, stuffed her wallet in a leg pocket and got a white t-shirt from a drawer. She smiled at Grace, "See you at nine," she walked out the door putting her shirt on as she went. Once back in the kitchen she had enough time to grab a water and an apple before walking out the front door to the waiting sheriff car.

A few minutes before nine Liza followed the Sheriff and the Court Clerk into the courtroom. The clerk stepped to the podium. "Thank you all for coming. We're here this morning to swear in Liza Dawes for Chief Deputy Sheriff."

The Sheriff moved to the podium then nodded for Liza to come forward. "Place your left hand on the Bible, raise your right hand and repeat after me."