Chapter 10

Rachel was in the kitchen the next morning when Liza walked in just after six ready for their run.

"How far do you want to go?" Rachel asked as they started stretching when they got outside.

"Mile out, mile back. A compromise with Grace."

Once they got going steady Rachel asked, "How's the new job going?" When Liza laughed she added, "Aside from recent events."

"It's okay. Two out of the four deputies busted me when I was a kid so you can imagine how hard of a time they're having with having to take orders from me. The third deputy has an issue with answering to a woman in general and the fourth deputy is the little brother of my ex-girlfriend."

"Small town soap opera."

"Exactly." After a few moments she added, "I have the dispatchers helping me set up a barbeque in two weeks for the whole station and their families. Like a meet and greet, get to know everybody kind of thing."

"Sounds like a good idea."

"I hope so."

"This can't be any harder than what you've accomplished in the military." Rachel said.

"Actually it's a hell of a lot harder. I had a clean slate going into the Army. I earned everything, good and bad. This? I've come back to my roots and half this town is waiting to see what I do next and the other half is waiting for me to fall on my face."

"I guess I hadn't considered your history into all of this. I just figured your military career and reputation would speak for themselves."

They'd reached the mile point and turned around, headed for home. "How's school going?"

"Good. I'll be glad when it's over." Rachel answered.

"Coming here on the weekends isn't hurting you is it?" Liza asked.

"No. I'd rather be here than in the apartment with the girls. Plus, there's lots of places here to study if I need to but I get most of mine done with Grace during the week. She crams everything so that as soon as her Friday class is out we can head here."

"I get off early Thursday so I'm coming up to surprise her, take her out. My buddy Joe and his wife want me to bring Grace over for lunch on Friday. She mentioned being able to get out of her Friday class without repercussions. Maybe take her to breakfast if we don't go out Thursday. We're supposed to be dating but it's not like we see much of each other to go out on an actual date."

"You went for pizza Friday after your roll in the hay, where'd you go after?"

"You mean before I got stabbed and ended up in the ER?" Liza questioned. "Worst first date in history. Took six years to get to this point and look how it ended."

"Falling out of bed and ripping out your stitches." Rachel laughed, "She's not complaining."

"I'm not complaining either. I just want more for her. She deserves more." Liza smiled when she thought back to just sitting in the back of the truck with Grace. "There's a spot that overlooks the river, it's one of my favorite places. I took her there to watch the sunset. It was great." She paused to look over at Rachel, "Corny, huh?"

"Not at all. Sounds very romantic. If there's one thing I know about Grace it's how much she loves the little things."

Liza nodded, "It's how we were raised."

"I met her a few times, Grandma Jessie? She was a remarkable woman. Very proud of all of you."

"It still hurts not having been here. I feel like I let her down. It was always understood that I would watch out for them and I wasn't here when I was needed most." Liza said sadly as they reached the house.