Chapter 4

Liza had tossed and turned the majority of the night with very little sleep. She had no idea that two nights sharing a bed with Grace would be enough to become such a habit, but it had. She finally gave up around dawn and got out of bed. She knew Grace wouldn't be up yet but texted her good morning anyway. Dressed in her running clothes she made her way down stairs. Pausing in the kitchen she thought she smelled coffee, looking at the pot she realized none had been made yet. The scent of coffee had become a permanent fixture in this kitchen over the years as well as the smell of fresh baked cookies and bread. The memories tugged at her mind, against her better judgement she gave in and let them come.

She was ten years old when she walked into this kitchen for the very first time. Her mother had dropped her off to be looked after by Widow James while she went to work.

"Come in here child. Sit down and I'll make you something to eat. My girls will be up soon and you'll have them to play with."

Young Liza slowly entered the kitchen and took a seat at the table. She was scared and didn't know what to think of this old lady. But her momma told her to be good and she promised she would so she did as she was told. A short time later they were joined by two other girls at the table. Liza remembered seeing them at school the few times she'd been allowed to attend.

"Girls this is Liza. Liza, this is Jessica and Caroline. Where is your little sister this morning Jessica?"

"Momma said not to wake her up since she was up with a fever last night."

The widow nodded in response as she set plates of food in front of each girl. Liza couldn't believe her eyes when she saw what was on the plate put before her. She didn't understand what she was supposed to do with it. When the widow saw her hesitate, "Eat your breakfast before it gets cold girl." Liza still made no move to reach for the fork she asked "What's the matter child?"

Liza looked at her plate then over to each of the girls that were staring at her then up to the widow, "I don't have to share it?"

"No, it's all yours. Go on now, eat it before it gets cold."

Just as she was about to turn Liza asked her, "Can I save some for later for if I get hungry?"

"You don't have to child. We'll have lunch later." She watched Liza smile then start to eat.

Liza had never seen that much food on her own plate before that morning. She was excited to come to the Widow's house every chance she could after that. Later that year when school started back up the Widow had told her mother that the only way she would continue to watch Liza is if she got to attend school. So Liza got to go to school and by Christmas she didn't call the old lady the Widow any more, she was Grandma Jessie.

It hurt to stand here now, not having been able to be here when Grandma Jessie got sick or be here when she died. She only hoped that she made her proud.

Jess stayed quiet and watched the emotions play over Liza's face. She knew Liza hadn't had a chance to grieve before now. Grandma Jessie may have been her biological grandmother but she never minded sharing her with Liza. Especially after she had overheard her mom and grandmother talk about Liza's home life when they were children.

She spoke softly when she saw the smile form on Liza's face, "Some of her roses are in bloom in the greenhouse if you want to take them to her. She's just on the other side of the creek."

Liza looked up to meet Jess's eyes, "Thank you. I will after my run." Liza hugged her before she walked out the back door.

After stretching Liza started out at a jog. She hadn't run this way in years but it came back to her like it was yesterday. She knew it was roughly three miles. The first time she ran it, it was in the opposite direction. Right after her mother had died. Her father had gotten drunk and had beat her for the first time. She waited until he passed out and left. She ran the whole way to Grandma Jessie's.