Chapter 16

The alarm on Liza's phone went off at ten minutes to six the next morning. She reached out from under the blankets long enough to turn it off. She wrapped her arm back around Grace's stomach as she buried her face in Grace's neck, breathing in her scent. She kissed her shoulder before carefully getting up. She stretched as she stood then changed from the tank top she slept in to a sports bra and t-shirt. She was on the back lawn stretching her legs when Joe and Rachel came out of the house.

"How was your roll in the hay, Sergeant?" Rachel asked jokingly.

"Ha-ha, you two are hilarious." Liza commented.

"Damn, I'm still in trouble for last night aren't I?" Joe asked.

"Good thing for you that Rachel is coming along this morning." Liza warned.

Rachel finished stretching and asked, "Why?"

"If you weren't here she'd probably make me run clear to the interstate and back." Joe responded.

"Oh Liza, take it easy on him." Rachel pleaded on Joe's behalf.

"It's okay, I have it coming. I should have known better than to say what I said." Joe looked at Liza, "I am sorry. I didn't think before I spoke last night. How mad is Grace?"

"She's not mad and she's not the one I'm worried about. Jess is going to make my life a living hell now." Liza answered.

"I truly am sorry. I had no idea they didn't know." Joe offered.

"Thanks," Liza patted him on the back, "It's all bound to come out sometime I guess."

They started off at an easy stride for Rachel's benefit. Liza knew that Joe got out every morning for a run and then went to the gym a few days a week. Something Liza desperately missed, but there wasn't a gym in town. The best she could hope for was the work out she created in the barn using the rafters and climbing ropes. They ran in companionable silence until halfway home and Liza spoke.

"I want to teach the girls some self-defense moves. They know to carry their keys between their fingers when they go outside, especially after dark but they need to know more than just that. I think you and I could teach them."

"You want to teach Grace how to throw you to the ground? Are you asking to get your ass kicked?" Joe asked.

They made it back to the house and went through a cool down before sitting at the picnic table.

"I'm not saying we teach them a whole damn course Joe. Just some basic moves." She paused to look at him across the table. "I'm not worried about Jess or Cali too much." She looked at Rachel, "Or Rachel for that matter, she knows how to defend herself. But can Loni? If some jackass did to Loni what that creep did to Grace or worse, could she fight him off?"

Joe met her eyes, "Okay! What do you have in mind?"

She grinned, "Just a few basics. What's the most common hold? Headlock from behind. So we teach them how to get out of it!"

Rachel nodded in agreement, "I can help."

Joe sighed, "Later when Laila goes down for a nap. The three of us can work with Meg, Grace and Loni." He drained his water and stood, "I'm going to take a shower."

"Jess is probably up if you want to use her shower." Liza said as she too stood but turned toward the barn.

"Where are you going?" Rachel asked with a smile.

"To roll in the hay!" She answered over her shoulder with a laugh.

Grace was still asleep when Liza climbed the ladder to the hayloft. She sat down on a small stack of hay bales to watch Grace sleep. She hadn't exactly lied yesterday when Grace asked her if she was having nightmares. A person couldn't have nightmares if they didn't sleep and she couldn't sleep because she relived seeing Grace pinned against the wall almost every time she closed her eyes. She hoped that maybe she'll be able to rest easier if Grace learns a little self-defense.