Chapter 6

(Delilah's POV)

I didn't know what to do so I did the first thing to come to my mind. Run. I bolted down the street, determined to follow through with my plan. I wasn't a good runner though and whoever was chasing me was gaining on me fast. Not even a minute of running and the person grabs me by the waist and picks me up. I scream and struggle in their grip. Kicking my legs and trying to let their arms off me. They sit down, holding onto me tight so I couldn't get away. "Let me go! Please!" I say only to get shushed.

"Delilah, calm down it's me." I hear Brendon say but that didn't stop me from struggling in his grip. "Let me go!" I yell. "I know what you're doing I'm not dumb!" He says raising his voice and I feel tears prick at my eyes. "I'm not letting you. I refuse." He says shakily. I gave up, he was way stronger than me and I wouldn't be able to get out from his grasp. So I sat there crying. I failed. Again. "Why. Every time." I say wiping away at my tears harshly. Brendon was still trying to catch his breath. "What do you mean?" He asks shakily.

"The first time you came around and stopped me and now again. Like why can't I just succeed? Why am I such a failure." I say. "Haven't you thought that maybe it's because you're not meant to succeed? You're supposed to be here. Alive." He says. He sounded like a wanted to cry. "Dallon and I wanna help. We do. We care for you. We want to give you a happy life. We want to help you. You have to allow us to, and killing yourself won't do any good." He says and for once, I actually listened to what he was telling me. He was right. Mel was right. Things are so bad because I'm not allowing them to get better. There's people who need me.

"I'm so so sorry.. y-you're right.. of course you are.." I say, wiping away the tears but they just kept coming. "Lets get back to the house. It's late." He says and let's go of me, and we stand up. On the way back, he kept a hand around my wrist. I wasn't gonna run again, that'd be dumb to do. "I'm not gonna run you know." I state sniffling. I still felt like a failure. "Just in case." He says. "What you don't trust me?" I say and automatically regret it. He shouldn't trust me at all. "Honestly? I don't." He says as we began to approach the porch. It stung a bit I'll admit but I didn't deserve trust. I wasn't trustworthy at the moment. I didn't even trust myself.

As we got closer to the house, I could see someone sitting on the porch. Dallon, most likely. We get to the porch and that's when Brendon let go of my wrist. Dallon stood up, worry on his face. "Why'd you guys run off like that?" He asks and Brendon simply pulls Dallon into a hug. "We'll talk later." I hear Brendon mumble. Boy did I wanna cry. I felt like shit. Not even because I failed but they both looked stressed. It's my first day here and already, I've got them like this.

I wouldn't doubt it if I wake up with my bags packed to be honest. I sat down the the concrete path and lied down, staring up at the sky. The sky was clear. Dark blue with tiny shiny lights; stars, piercing through. It was beautiful and staring at the stars calmed me. In fact sometimes I would pick the lock on the windows and lay on the roof at the orphanage when I got super stressed or if I needed to get away. I love the night sky. "Honey you shouldn't lie on the ground." Dallon says and I don't even look at them. "Looking at the stars calms me. Usually I would lay on a roof, but I know you guys wouldn't dare let me." I say. I wouldn't let me either if I were them.

"You can't blame us though, we want you to be safe. That's not exactly a safe thing to do. You could slip and fall." Dallon says. I shrug and rub my face and put my hands behind my head. "We all know that's not the reason. Either way, I don't trust myself on a roof anymore. So it's fine." I say tears glossing my eyes. "Tomorrow can it be a fresh start? I don't wanna act like this night existed. I'm gonna genuinely try. I promise I'll try." I say. "Of course. In fact that's the best option." Brendon says and I sit up and look at them both. "From the bottom of my heart, I'm deeply sorry for being such a bother already." I say as I stand up, brushing my clothes off.