Part 6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "Excuse me, where's building 8?" a voice mumbles behind me.
I turn around to see Ava's brother, the very man that saved me a couple of days ago. I suck in a breath as he looks up at me. He scrunches his eyebrows as if trying to remember me. When he finally does, he scowls.
"Um.. I'll show you."
"Just tell me." his voice is hard and clipped.
"No, I need to talk to you. Kill two birds with one stone. What room?"
He lets out an annoyed sigh and tells me 815.
We have the same class but I won't tell him just yet.

I begin walking and he follows not too far behind.
"So, about the other day-"
"It was nothing, just take me to the building. I'll find the rest." he says.
"It was something."
"You're safe, aren't you? You're not hurt, right? So why-"
"Because I never thanked you." I stop walking and face him. "I wanted to thank you. If you weren't there.. I don't know. Just- thank you."

He looks at me for a while. It's only 7:48am, we have plenty of time until class starts.

"Just be careful."

I nod then turn around and continue walking. We silently walk towards the back and into building 8. He thanks me but before he could leave to find his class I ask him a question.

"Why did you come into a university last minute like this? There's only 3 months left."

He laughs at this but I was being serious. There's no way he could have been here before, his sister said they just moved down here.

  "Why not?"

"What kind of answer was that?"
"An answer."

A bullshit one.

"What's your name?" I ask him.
    "You don't know my name?"
"Should I? Your sister never said anything about your name. Ava, right?"
     He nods but ignores the question. He turns around into the room and closes the door behind him.
~•~•~•~•~•~•~
The class flew by quickly.
I didn't talk to him since this morning.
Haven't spoken to Mason or Brooklyn.
Maybe it's for the best, they'd just distract me.

Him.
I didn't get his name.
But why do I need it? Fuck, I spend too much time with Brooke. I need a distraction right now, anything.
  I pick up my phone and scroll to Mason's name. What should I say?
'Hey, I only need to use you as a distraction from a completely hot stranger I met in the club the other day. What's up?'
No, but that would be funny.
I begin to text him;
Hey.

Not a minute goes by when I receive a reply.

Joslyn! Would've never imagined you'd text me first.

Me neither.

Yea well, I'm full of surprises. Doing anything right now? Could use a distraction.

I pressed send before I noticed.
Oh god, I hope he doesn't think I mean sex.

Actually, in the middle of a lecture. It'll be done in 10, that good? Could meet you at the campus cafe.

Perfect. I text him okay and start packing my computer and shoving it in my bag. By the time I walk into the cafe it's 10:56. I order a blueberry muffin with a cold iced tea and sit down at an empty table.
10 minutes later Mason appears in sweat pants and a hoodie. It is colder this morning.

"You're drinking iced tea in 50 degree weather? You know it's going to get colder, right?" he says as he sits across from me.

  "I'll manage. So, how's your morning so far?" I ask.
"Not a morning person so shitty. Hate getting up early."
   "Well, you'll be doing it for the next 30 plus years."
"Don't remind me. How about you?"
I hesitate but decide not to mention him or my morning.
   "The ordinary."
"I'm going to get a croissant, want anything else?"
   "I'll have a croissant too." I reach in my bag to pull out a five but he's already in line at the register. I smile and shake my head as I put the five in his bag.
  When he returns, we talk and enjoy each other's company for a good hour.

"Well, I've got to get going. Have another lecture at 12." he says while getting up.

"Can I say have fun?"

He chuckles and leans in for a hug but I back up and extend my hand with a smirk.

  "You don't play fair."
"This would have to be a game for me to not 'play fair' and I don't play games." I wink, let go of his hand, and head out of the cafe.

As soon as I walk out I see Brooklyn. Oh shit, maybe I could avoid her if-
"Joslyn! I see you! I've got something to tell you!" she yells.
She practically sprints towards me in her knee high boots.
   "Joslyn! Guess who I found!"
Just then Ava appears out of nowhere and hugs me.

"Hey it's been awhile." Ava says.
    "Hi Ava. You go here?" I ask.
"No, I already did my time. I was actually in Bagel Hut when your friend saw me. Said she was bored and wanted to convince you to party and I am the queen of hosting a party."
     "Oh, answers no."
"What? You are the same girl I was grinding against Friday, right?"
     "Sort of."
     "Yes she was." Brooklyn says. "But she'll only go on Fridays and Saturdays and no sex. Could you believe it? I think she's only fucked once."
   "Woah, once? Really? Oh no honey, you're not living." Ava adds.

  "Um okay, thank you! But-"
"Friday you guys have to come back to that club. I'll show you some real fun."
   "Um-"
   "We'll be there!" Brooklyn finishes excitedly.
"Alright then, be sure to look hot, not like you'll have to try very hard. But it'll be cold so not anything too revealing. Call me."

Both Ava and Brooklyn leaves me with my mouth wide open.