Part 48

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today's graduations day. I can't believe it came so fast. I'm in the oversized gown and the hat. I try to look around and find Lloyd, the only close family I have left, but don't see him. Nothing has happened since the whole celebration at my dorm. Tris has been avoiding me, it's been 2 weeks now.
   I'm not familiar with anyone next to me. I silently take nervous breaths and prepare for my turn. After several minutes, I'm up. I walk on the stage, accept my diploma, and shake the administrators hands. I look out in the crowd and still don't see him. My smile slightly falls, did he not come? Graduating is supposed to be one of the best moments of your life but it feels just the opposite right now. No family to congratulate you or praise you for your hard work. Another hard reminder I am alone. Did I forget how I grew up? It's always been like this and most likely will always be this way. I step off the stage and wait until the rest of the ceremony is over.

After the ceremony, I walk up to Brooklyn and Mason and hug them. They're with their families so I leave them to spend more time with each other. I look to my far right and see Tristan with his sister, mom, and dad. I smile at everyone reuniting with their families. It must be–

"Wow it's been 4 years already?" a familiar voice says. I turn around and see it's Lloyd.
"Lloyd! Oh my god, you're here." I practically slam into him while trying my best to hold back tears.
"Of course I'm here." he says as he holds me in his arms. My legs can't hold on anymore, I slide down but never break my grip from him. He doesn't let go either and slides down with me.

I can't believe myself. What was I thinking? No matter what I've been through, I have never been alone. Far from it. Even in the beginning I've always had at least one person to love and support me. It started with my brother and father, then Lloyd, and now my friends. Sure they might be busy with their own relationships and careers, but if I needed them I can count on them to be there.

"Lloyd. Thank you." I can't stop the tears. I cry on the ground in his arms, I don't care who's watching. "This means so much to me. Oh god, you're getting old. Your hair is greying."

"I'll dye it later." he chuckles. "You look just like Richard. He would be so proud of you."
"I know. Do you want to get up?"
"Yeah, come on." he helps me get up.

"Lloyd, I didn't know you'd be here." Santiago says.
"Mr. Alvarez, same to you."
"Shipment has been delayed lately, any reason for that?"
"I'm not the one to ask anymore. I'm retired now, ready to enjoy life."
"Oh really? Hello Joslyn, congratulations on getting your diploma."

"Thank you." I say. "I didn't know you were retired. That's amazing Lloyd! I knew you were getting old."
"You are your father's daughter all right."

I laugh at this while wiping my face. I kind of messed up my make up but it's alright. I'm truly happy that he's done with the drug dealing business. Finally, he can live in peace. I look up and see Santiago has already left.

"So you're into an Alvarez? Who knew my little girl would become a star!" Lloyd says.
"I am no star and I'm not with an Alvarez. He's making that very clear."
"The pictures state otherwise. Well regardless, if you want something go get it."
"Are you giving me dating advice?" I laugh and he joins me.

We agree to get out of here and go out to eat. My car is parked in the back and coincidentally so is Tris's. We don't speak as we walk towards our cars. Everyone is still inside so the parking lot is basically empty except a person in a hoodie leaned against a car. As soon as I get near my car the person moves. I don't think anything of it until I open my car door and I hear the safety lock of a gun go off.

What the–

I slowly put my hands up as I turn around. My eyes widen as I see the person aiming the gun at me. From the corner of my eye I see Tristan coming up to us.

"Stop! Don't you dare hurt him!" I yell to Tris. He stops in his tracks. I slowly walk closer to the person holding the gun. The boy has long brown hair and a beauty mark on his right cheek. As I get closer, he puts the muzzle on my forehead. I smile up at him and start crying again.

"Did you miss me, sister?" Jayden asks with a big, friendly smile.