Part 56

A/N; Kind of a short chapter but it's really late & im tired (3am) enjoy <3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joslyn's POV
10 min. earlier

"Hey where'd my brother go?" Ava asks.
"He just left."
"What? The fireworks are about to start. I'll go get his dumbass."
"No no, I'll get him. Watch the fireworks with Maddie."
"You're going to miss it too?"
"No. I'll bring Tristan back so we can all watch it. He couldn't have gone far."
"Alright."

I get up and make my way to my car. Damn, I'll loose this spot by the time I get back. Not to mention I still had another hour left. Just great. There's only one place Tris would go after hearing something like that.
~•~•~•~
I knew it.
I see his car on the checkered line.

"Let's all give it up for a special guest, Tristan Alvarez!" a man says through the speaker. I join in with the crowd and cheer. The man says the usual introduction before the racers take off. I smile as Tris takes the lead, he's a natural at this. He's always had–

"Turn the car!! Turn the car!!"

Screams fill me ears.
I run.
I run onto the track where Tristan had just crashed into the wall.

"Get back!" a man yells. I ignore him and head straight to the destroyed vehicle where the love of my life is laying limp.

"Tristan! Tristan!" I yell. I open the car door then try to pull him out. He has glass all over him and bleeding everywhere.
Finally I get him out of the car. I check for a pulse.

Thank god, he's alive. The pulse is faint though.

"Hang in there Tris. Don't you leave me, not you too. Please. I'm so sorry, this is my fault." I say as I pluck the glass from his skin and remove his helmet. Some pieces cut through the fabric, it may leave scars. I feel for a pulse again and it's gone.

"No no no Tristan. Stay with me." I begin doing chest compressions. A group of men surround us but don't attempt to get too close. They stay their distance, probably scared of the scene. "His heart stopped beating. Oh god, his heart stopped. Call an ambulance."

"They're on their way." one of the men say. "Is there anything we can do?"

"AED. Go get it. Now." I demand. One of them race off as I administer two breaths. "Tristan please. Don't leave me baby."

The man comes back with an AED and I attach it to his body. It administers a shock then tells me to continue chest compressions. My arms ache but I can't stop. I won't.

Finally the paramedics arrive. They take over the chest compressions.

"Pulse is back. Get the stretcher." the paramedic says. They all get the stretcher and load him up. Just as I'm about to join them they stop me.
"Are you family?" they ask.
"No but–"
"Sorry you can't come on. Meet him at the nearest hospital."

They load themselves in the ambulance just before driving off. I run to my car and drive to the nearest hospital around here.
~•~•~•~•~
"So sorry we're late. How is he?" Ava asks.
"He's in a coma." I say.
"Oh my god." she breaks down.

This is all my fault. Why did I have to tell him? Had I stayed quiet he would have never went to the race tracks.

"Shit." Danny curses. He paces down the waiting room while Natalia and the rest of the employers cry.

"Ava. I want to switch my schedule. Please let me work nights, I want to stay with him during visiting hours." I say.
"Okay." she says between sobs. I want to hug her but how can I? I'm the reason for her sobs. I'm to blame for everyone's pain right now.

"Family of Tristan?" a man asks. We all stand up. "Just family." he clarifies. Everyone sits back down except Ava and Danny who was already standing.

"Please, come see him." he says.
"Joslyn let's go."
"But–" I start.
"You're family too."

I stand up and walk with Ava to the room. Tristan is hooked up to a breathing machine with his chest revealed. As I thought, he's covered in scars near the neck and chest.

"Even with the helmet, he hit his head pretty hard. Whoever performed CPR saved his life. He should be fine when he wakes up but patients in his situation often experience memory loss. Whether it's temporary or permanent depends on the patient."

Ava discusses medical problems with the doctor while I look at Tris.

"Tristan I'm so, so sorry." I whisper. "I promise, I'll stay by your side for as long as I can. It's the least I could do for causing you so much pain."