Part 10

A/N: Would you guys be interested in the next chapter (or future chapters) dedicated to the character's back stories alone? Comment below & let me know (:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you ever had your head flooded with questions about someone? It's like my mind has been altered to only focus on two things; driving and Tris.
   Is it the fact that he refuses to share his name that interest me or his odd reaction to such a small thing? What caused him to react so erratically, so strangely? I try to think of all the possible reasons and only come to one conclusion.
                        Tris may just be weird.

I smile at that thought even though I know it's not the right assumption. A phone call interrupts my thoughts. I pick up my phone and answer it at the red light.
"Hello?"
  "Joslyn! How about going to a party tomorrow?"
"Mason? Do you know what time it is?"
   "Uh..12. Anyway, there's a party at this club, I'll text you the address. They rented out the whole venue." he explains.

"I was just at a club. How about anoth-"
  "No no no, you've got to come."
"Will you ruin my dress again?"
   "No, you have my word."
"Can I invite some friends?"
    "I guess.. but-"
"We'll be there, what time?"
    He chuckles at my excitement.
     "Ladies free until 10. After 10 and everyone else, $25."

"Okay, thanks Mason."
  "And one more thing."
"What?" I ask.
   "It's a lingerie party."
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
11:42am

"Brooklyn N. Stevens where the hell were you last night?!" I demand sternly as she walks through the door.

"You know exactly where I was and what I was doing." she responds with a wink at the end.

"Well thanks to you, I had to have dinner alone with Ava's brother."
"Oh, I did you a favor then! So how'd it go?"
"Brooklyn!"
"Lighten up Joslyn! At the end of the day we both had fun, right?"

I let out an exasperated breath then give her a nod.
"There's another party, lingerie theme. I was going to ask Ava if she wanted to come." I say.
"Ask for her brother too, that man is hot. I'd love to get a taste of that-"
"Okay I've heard enough." I say while throwing a napkin roll at her. "I took an extra shift today at work."

"I will never understand why you work there. You have a lot of money in your-"
"Brooklyn."
"I'm just saying." she shrugs.
"Don't."
How I have so much money is not her, or anyone else's, concern. I look down at my hands and fist them.

"Anyway, when are you leaving for your shift?"
"Now."

I rush out the dorm and head straight to my car. Once inside, I take a deep breath and start the engine. I hate when she ask about anything related to money or family.

Family.

It's been years since I had a family, the word is almost foreign to me.

Stop. Don't think of that.

I reverse the car then start driving to my part time job. Good thing too, I could use the distraction. As I pull up to the store I check the time and date.

March 31
12:21pm

"What? It's almost April already? Wait.. graduation is in May.. oh god."

I've been telling myself I'd graduate college in 3 months but it's a lot sooner than that. How could I have not noticed this?

"Okay Joslyn, you've worked hard to get this far. Dad would be proud of you.." I whisper.
  The passing of my father changed everything. I know this is what he would have wanted. However, what I did to get here wouldn't be. Would it?

   I open the center console and pull out the small picture of a young boy. He has the cutest, biggest eyes and the kindest smile. I drag my thumb against the photo as tears threaten to fall against my cheeks.
   I left him behind to help myself, my own brother. My "mother" loved him though, she wouldn't hurt a hair on his head. I... I did the right thing leaving him. She would have killed me if I stayed I know it!
     I know it...

"I'll come back for you Jayden. Even if you hate me or if you kill me yourself, I'll still love you. I promise I'll see you again."
                                "I promise."