Chapter 9

Sarah wasn't too upset about this sudden change in Paul's attitude towards this man, he was kinda creepy.

  It didn't take Paul long to find another guide, an older man, and his wife.

  They lived and worked on the island, and Paul had just bumped into them by accident.

  They were delighted to show Paul and Sarah around, even inviting them to come into their home.

  "I can't believe how my day has turned out!" The lady confided in Sarah. "I just got bored, rattling around in this house. I told my husband, let's go find some excitement,  and now here you are!" Sarah couldn't help but laugh.

  Sarah sat in the kitchen with the woman, while Paul was outside, with one of the man's grandchildren on his lap.

Upon getting to know them, Paul and Sarah found out their names were Ekewaka, pronounced eh-keh-WAH-kah, (or Edward) and Babette Kahananui, pronounced Ka-hana-nu-wi.

  They soon became known to Paul and Sarah as Ed and Babette.

  Thanks to Ed and Babette, Paul and Sarah got to know a side of Hawaii that most never see, and that suited them just fine.

  "So, you're not married yet?" "No sir, not yet." "Well, what's keeping ya?" "Well, we thought we'd get to know each other a bit more." "You've got your whole lives to do that, eh..." Ed said, as he nudged Paul's elbow. "Well, speaking of, she won't let me do that till we get married.." "All the more reason to do it sooner..." another nudge.

"Hey, when you do, I've got the perfect honeymoon spot for ya. It's this little cabin, literally in the water. No one will bother ya." "Hey, that sounds tempting.. how much?" "For you, completely free.." "What?! No, I couldn't do that, you have to let me pay something.." "Well, we'll sort all that out later."

Ed and Babette's house was basically some walls nailed together, with some furniture here and there.

  In a word, they were poor. This was a point that was not lost on Paul, who already planned to pay them well for their time and services.

  Babette ended up cooking a big spread, and Sarah and Paul ate till they couldn't eat anymore.

  They left with a promise that they would get together the next day. As far as Sarah was concerned, she had made a new friend.

  The land of palm trees was looking better and better, as Sarah woke up to a new day, there in her room, with the sun streaming in, and the sound of sea gulls, and the waves as an alarm clock.

   She yawned and stretched as there was a knock at the adjoining door.

   "Yes....." "it's me luv, you up?" "I'm awake, not necessarily up," she said, as she pulled her covers up over herself. Paul walked in the room.

  "We need to get ready, we're supposed to meet Ed and Babette at 9:00 for breakfast."  "Ok, I'll shower and get ready."

Paul nodded and walked out.

  About 8:30 they went down, and found Ed and Babette waiting at the entrance.

  Paul went out.....

  "Why didn't you come in?" "They won't let us. This place is too posh for poor folks like us, even though we tried to dress nice." Ed answered.

"Well, come in, you're my guests, and I dare them to say something while you're with me!" Paul led them through the hotel, past the ones who refused them, who just stood there and stared at them,  and into the dining room.

  "Four for breakfast please.." very good sir." The man led them to a table. Paul helped Sarah sit, and Ed helped Babette, and sat down themselves.