Chapter 23

The girls were in the kitchen, and the guys were out on the porch with the grill.

Joe had had three beers, Paul a glass of wine. The men got the steaks done, while the women cooked everything else.

  Joe got louder and louder, and Paul silently wished he would leave, but Sarah was having a good time hanging out with her childhood friend, so he stayed quiet.

  Soon enough the food was done, and all ate, and was happy, except for Joe, he wasn't happy about anything, as he continued to drink.

  Everyone tried to get him to eat, but he kept saying that he would eat later....

Eventually, Andrea had to drive home, as he was too drunk.

  Later that evening, Paul and Sarah settled in, on the porch, watching the sun set.

Paul had never seen a pink sunset, but had to admit it was beautiful.

"Darlin, I like your friend, Andrea, but I have to say, I don't like Joe, well, when he's been drinking anyway."
"I feel the same way, and I didn't know he drank that much!"
"I'm sorry Paul, putting you in that spot, I know you were uncomfortable."
"Yeah, I was, but it's over now."
"Yeah, I hope so!"
"Did you get Emma and Ian to sleep alright luv?"
"Yeah, poor things, they were asleep soon after their heads hit the pillow. I'm guessing, a little bit too much excitement." Sarah replied.

"Whatdaya say we take another walk tomorrow?"
"Yeah, sounds like fun."

Before long, both were yawning, so they decided to call it a night.

Early the next morning Sarah was up making breakfast, having already fed Emma and Ian.

They happily played on the floor, as she prepared everything. Breakfast was on the table, and the coffee was ready.

    Paul came staggering in, yawning.

  "Well, good morning sleepy head,  I got your coffee!"
She poured him a cup, and handed it to him.
"Thanks luv, ahhh....that's lovely!" He said as he took a sip.

  He looked around at the food on the table, and babies playing on the floor, and smiled.

"Wow, you've been busy this morning!" Paul said as he took another sip of his coffee.
"Yep, and I was thinking of taking Emma and Ian out on the beach to play for a bit."
"Alright, that sounds nice, then later we can take a walk."
"Yeah, that sounds good..... uhhh Emma, no no! Ugh...we need to get this potted plant out of here, they are in love with this thing!" Sarah said as she moved Emma away from it.

Paul got up, picked it up, and placed it outside, on the porch. Emma wasn't too happy about this move, but soon found something else that was equally as fascinating.

  "Don't let me forget luv, that we need to put it back when we leave.."
"Which will be...."
"Not sure, I was thinking about a week, well, unless Joe comes back over here, getting drunk again. If so, I'm all for picking up, and leaving as soon as possible."
"It really bothers you, doesn't it!"
"A bit, yeah, reminds me of John. He used to get drunk a lot on tour, uhh.. in the hotel room."
"Did he act like Joe?"
"Yeah, but worse actually. I remember at my 21st Birthday party, he knocked someone out, and put a toilet seat over his head!"
"Wow! What did he ever do to him?!"
"Well, he alluded to the trip he took with Brian. You know he's gay, right?"
"Yeah, I know, what about it?"
"Well, this bloke, suggested that John might be that way as well.."
"Well, he isn't, is he?"
"Oh no, not that I know of."
"Anyhoo...I expect he's sleeping it off this morning.."
"Anyhoo...you picked that up from Andrea..." Paul chuckled.
"Yeah, guess I did."

They finished breakfast, and Paul did the washing up, as Sarah took a shower, and then got Emma and Ian ready to go on the beach.

"Hey, you know what?"
"What luv?"
"We need an umbrella, you know, to put in the sand, to keep the sun off us."
"Alright, we could take our walk, and get one before we play on the beach. But you know we can't take it home with us, right?"
"Yeah, I know. We could give it to Andrea."
"Alright, we'll do that." Paul said, as he finished the last dish, and wiped down the counters.

Soon enough, they had the babies in the stroller, walking down the boardwalk.

They walked past several shops, and happened upon something that troubled them.

They saw some men cutting up live fish, and actually heard the fish scream.

"Oh, Paul, let's go! I don't wanna watch any more of this!"
"Ok," Paul said, as he led his little family away.
"I didn't know they did that, you know, scream.."
"Neither did I." Paul replied.

"I don't know if I want to eat fish anymore....and you know what, if fish scream when someone cuts them, just imagine what other animals do!"

"So, what does that mean? You wanna be vegetarians, or something?"
"Yeah, I think I do.. what do you think?"
"Whatever you decide, I'm in.."

Paul smiled, and kissed her...
"Thanks for that luv. Makes me think you're on my side.."
"I am.."

They found and purchased an umbrella, and walked back.

As the babies played, they continued to think over this new development. Before long the decision was made... to stop eating meat forever.