Chapter Fifteen|| Search Team

{Emily's POV}

"Please explain what happened." I croaked out and Oliver was quick to pull me to his side in a comforting motion.

"I-" He took a deep breath trying to calm down.

"We were on this trail. We were so close. These men...I saw them sneaking through the borders and I thought...we got them. We followed them to this warehouse and we marked it on our maps. We left back to the car and we were going to come home and get a squad before going back there. Tanner was looking around for his phone and he said he must have dropped it.

I told him it wasn't important and we can look for it another time. He was worried they would find it and he would be the next target. He told me to wait for him and he'd be right back. I knew it was a suicide mission so I told him not to go or at least let me come with. He wouldn't budge. He said it would be five minutes tops and if he didn't find it by then, then he would come back. I was to guard the car and make sure we weren't spotted. I was stupid to let him go alone. It's all my fault. He didn't come back and when I went to look for him...I couldn't find him." Wesley croaked out, a stray tear running down his cheek.

Claire had to look away so she wouldn't start crying, Brian looked even angrier, and I didn't know what to think.

"Did someone inform the chief?" I asked.

"We already have a group out looking for him. We'll just have to do our best." Brian spoke up trying to maintain his anger.

Claire rested her head on Brian's shoulder and he was quick to pull her to his side resting his chin on the top of her head.

It was silent within the station and I had no clue what to say. I was their leader and here I was completely useless.

"Okay, Tanner isn't going to show back up with us sitting around. Brian and Claire I want you searching every camera on the borders with Wesley. Let him show you where they were. The rest of you I want you looking at the maps Wesley and Tanner marked on. I want you to send possible whereabouts to the squad that is looking for him." Oliver spoke up and I mentally thanked him.

"Lets get to it." I added quietly and everyone went their separate ways following orders.

"You okay?" Oliver asked grabbing my chin softly making me look at him.

"No." I replied and had to blink away tears.

"He is like my family, Oliver," I told him looking back at Brian, Claire, and Wesley. "They all are. We're such a close group. I don't know if I told you this or not already, but I lost my parents when I was merely a teen. That is why I dedicated my life to being a damn good FBSI agent. Their case was never dealt with correctly and they man who killed them got away. I won't go into detail, but Tanner was the first person I met when I came here. He's like my big brother."

"Im sorry, Em, I know this isn't easy. We just have to try our best." He told me and I slowly nodded.

"Yeah."

***

I sat in my hotel room where my cases and things we've came across still was. I looked through some of the victims just trying to put a pattern together. What made them such a target?

I could feel a headache coming on and I just wanted to scream. I wanted to scream at the Goddess to give me some answers, I wanted to scream at the world just to ask why, and most of all I just wanted this case to be solved, the man to be caught, and for me to feel at peace.

It seemed like too much to ask for.

There was a soft knock on the door and I watched as it opened and Wesley walked through.

"Im so sorry, Emily." He spoke and I sighed standing and opened my arms and he was quick to walk into my embrace wrapping his arms around me tightly.

"I never meant for this to happen." He croaked into my neck as I rubbed his back.

"I know, Wes, we just...we can't let them win." I said and he pulled back looking at me and shook his head.

"I won't let them." He said sharply and reluctantly let go of me and took a seat by the table clasping his hands together.

I knew he felt this was all his fault

I knew he felt this was all his fault. Sure, he should have let Tanner go off on his own, but Tanner should have never told him to stay and wait for him. That was a stupid thing to do.

"This is all my fault." He said closing his eyes.

"Don't say that." I mumbled and he held out his hand stopping me.

"Nothing you say, Emily, is going to make me forgive myself. This is my fault, I should have never let him go. Goddess, there's no telling what they've done to him."

"Stop," I said sharply. "Letting all these negative thoughts into your head is only going to make it worse. You beating yourself up over this is already letting them win, so just stop." I replied and walked over grabbing a bottle of water from the mini fridge and handed it to him.

"Take a minute to calm down. Then we'll talk." I replied and sat down next to him and looked back at the case files.

____________________________________________________________________________

Short chapter, but I'm going to try to update again soon!

Any new suspicions on the killer?

VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE

Someone please tell me if there are grammar errors I did not proof read before publishing bc I am so tired.

Much love.

Comment what you think will happen next.