Chapter Sixteen|| On the Lookout

{Emily's POV}

"No signs or traces." Someone spoke through the walkie talkie as we walked around the woods were Tanner was last seen. 

"Copy that." I replied and sighed tightening my grip on my gun. 

Being in these woods made me feel...off. Brian and Claire stayed back monitoring the camera footage from the boarders and Wesley came with me and another search team. 

"So this is where you last saw him?" I asked Wesley looking around the area. 

"Yeah. The car was parked back where I previously showed you and he took off this way." He replied and I looked around. 

"Well, it's daylight. Do you think you could pick a trail up on him?" I asked and Wesley squatted and looked around on the ground. 

"No, it rained and we've all been walking all over this grass and mud. I'll get nowhere." He sighed standing and kicked a nearby rock angrily. 

"Calm down, we can't have you upset. You're our best bet right now." I told him and he just let out a small growl before walking away and headed down the path we were on. 

I shook my head following after him. 

***

"Did you find anything?" Oliver asked as I walked into his office. 

"No. It was a dead end, but we still have some guys looking out for Tanner." I told him as he rounded his desk and pulled me into his embrace. 

"Did you get my things moved in from the hotel room?" I asked looking up at him. 

"Yeah." He smiled. 

"Im sorry I couldn't help." I told him and he shook his head. 

"Don't be. I know you have a lot of stuff on your plate right now. I was glad to do it." He said and I smiled softly and leaned up pecking his lips. 

"I don't deserve you." I mumbled. 

"I think that's the other way around." 

Oh how wrong he was. 

"I'm just happy to have you in my arms every night." He said grinning and I could tell he was trying to get my mind off things. 

"Every night? So I'm staying in your room?" I teased and he smirked. 

"Unless you fancy a guest bedroom instead of my oh so comfy bed." He joked and I hummed thinking about it. 

"I think I can manage sleeping in your bed." I replied and and chuckled leaning in closer to me. 

"Yeah?"

"Yeah." I said as he placed another kiss on my lips and he let out a small groan. 

"You drive me crazy." He said and I just let out a small laugh. 

"Vise versa." I replied. 

"Are you hungry?" He asked looking at his watch. "It's lunch time and I know you were out early this morning." He added. 

"Lunch sounds amazing." Anything to get my mind off things for a few. 

"How about that little cafe down the road you like so much?" I grinned. 

"You know me so well." 

"Oh don't I know." He shot back with a wink. 

****

We went and got lunch and it felt nice to get my mind off things for a couple hours, thought, Tanner never really left my mind. I didn't even want to think of what they could be doing to him. What if he's...No! I will not think that. 

When we got back Brian and Claire announced they didn't find anything on all the footage they watched and we were back at square one. I view the case files again, I typed peoples names in, I did everything I could think of and there was no correlation that I had came up with. 

We were getting nowhere. This guy was too good. 

I stood in my old hotel room looking at the wall off victims with an angry expression. I can't believe I am failing at my job. I grabbed my hair angrily, just think Emily!

"They're all within the age of twenty two to twenty seven. Both male and female. Each person was stage as a suicide...Im missing something. What am I missing?" I spoke to no one in particular. 

The man from the other night popped into my mind. I quickly grabbed my phone calling Brian. 

"Yeah?" He picked up. 

"That man that was at every crime scene. Have you got him yet?" I asked. 

"I talked to chief about it and he said he brought him in. I don't know if he's questioned him yet, but-" I cut him off. 

"Okay thanks I need to call the chief then." I told him and quickly ended the call. 

Dialing up the chief I waited for him to answer. "Hello?" He picked up. 

"Chief! That man you brought in for questioning...did you get anything out of him?" I asked. 

"Emily, that is exactly what  was about to call you about. I did and this changes everything about the case. Each victim...the man knew them all. He said that-" The chief stopped talking. 

"Hello?" He called out. 

"Chief?" I asked confused. 

"Hold on, Emily. I heard something." He replied and heard the shuffling of the phone and it sounded like he sat it down. 

"What are you doing here?" Chief asked sounding shocked and my brows furrowed as no one responded and then I heard it...a gunshot

I jumped back letting out a screech. 

"Chief?!" I yelled and I heard the phone being picked up. 

"Chief can't come to the phone right now," A man with a deep voice spoke and my heart dropped. "X says to stop looking into this before more die...and this time there won't be a pattern for your pretty little face to figure out. Let this be a warning." The line went dead and I felt shock take over as my body started shaking and I knew a panic attack was coming on as the phone slipped from my hand and crashed onto the ground. 

My breathing started to get harsh and it felt like I couldn't breath. Not the chief. 

The panic attack grew worse and I felt as I went lightheaded and everything went dark. 

****

Light beeping was heard and I slowly opened my eyes looking around seeing Brian, Wesley, Claire, and Oliver all sitting around me with sad looks. 

"What happened?" I croaked out and all four pairs of eyes snapped to me. 

"Oh thank goddess you're okay." Oliver said taking my hand in his and placed a kiss on it. 

"You had a panic attack." Brian announced and everything hit me like a brick and I sat up quickly as my eyes clouded with tears. 

"The chief?!" I spoke and Claire gave me a sad look. 

"The chief is dead. He didn't make it." She croaked out and for the first time that week I let everything out as sobs wracked my body. 

__________________________________________________________________________

Double update say whhhatttt?

VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE

hm, who do you think killed him?

Suspicions?

What do you think will happen next? 

Let me know if grammar errors are in the chapter:)