Chapter Twenty Eight|| Thus, Tanner Wakes

{Emily's POV}

When my agents put an unconscious Wesley in the back of a cop car, relief finally washed over me. It's finally over. 

"Emily!" I turned seeing the alphas and lunas hurrying to me, including Oliver. 

"Why didn't you wait for us?! You took him on alone! Are you crazy?" Oliver asked exasperated by the thought of his mate being put in danger. 

"I'm fine. He didn't wait in the lobby like he was supposed to. I got worried and luckily I got to Tanner's room in time. He had a gun. He was going to kill Tanner so he wouldn't have a witness." I explained and Octavia sighed looking like she felt this was all her fault. 

"Im sorry, babe." Oliver said pulling me into a hug and I buried my face into his chest holding back my tears. I had to be strong. 

"Emily, why don't you go home with Oliver and take a night to relax. I'll ride back and make sure the right measures are taken with Derek." I nodded just really wanting to be in my mates arms. 

"Come on." Oliver said next to my ear pulling me towards his car. 

***

I laid in bed with Oliver as he had me wrapped up in his arms. I couldn't help it, the minute we were back home the tears came. Oliver was quick to scoop me up and comfort me. After a hot shower, we laid down and I felt more calm. 

"I just feel like this is my fault," I stated shaking my head. "He was right in front of me all along." 

"And that's the best killers there are, Em. They play everyone and no one even thinks to suspect them. It's how they get away with so much for so long, but eventually every killer's rampage came to an end. You might not feel like it, but you've saved more people's lives...if even you lost some to get here." Oliver replied placing a kiss on the top of my head. 

"Maybe."

"Not a maybe, it's the truth. Believe it. I know you're hurting because you were close with Wesley, or 'Derek', but you can't continue to beat yourself up over this. You saved Tanner's life...you saved the other people at that party he had yet to come for...you potentially even saved the lunas...they were at that party too. We respect you for that. Without you, no one would have solved this."

"Without Octavia no one would have solved it." I corrected and he rolled his eyes. 

"But you had a hunch to meet with the alphas and lunas and look where that got you. Stop treating yourself like that. Take some pride in what you did. It might seem wrong to, but you need to. Seeing you finally put away that killer after all your hard work...I take pride in you. I respect you even more if that's possible." 

I couldn't help but let a small smile crawl its way onto my face. 

"Thanks." I yawned shortly after and Oliver chuckled. 

"It's been a long day. Lets get some rest and tomorrow we'll see what the future holds." I nodded closing my eyes finally being able to have a peaceful sleep in a long, long time. 

***

The next day I woke up early to go and see Tanner before I headed to the station. I told Oliver I wanted to go alone and just sit with him. I had to decide what I needed to do. 

Do I sign the DNR and let them take him off the support he currently had and see if he could do it on his own? Did I leave him how he was?

Was I being selfish?

I just wanted Tanner to get the peace he deserved, and if letting him go to the other, better side is going to do that...then so be it. 

But as I sat on a chair next to Tanner's bed holding the do not resuscitate papers, I couldn't bring myself to do it.