Chapter Twenty Two|| Pictures

{Emily's POV}

I sat staring at a motionless Tanner. He was hooked up to so many machines with a breathing tube down his throat. I felt sick at my stomach knowing I let him get hurt like this. I could have done my job better and I'll hate myself everyday for that. 

Tanner, as far as I understood, was in a coma. He'd experienced blunt force trauma to the head and the doctors said they didn't know if he'd wake up and that the chances were low. When we had gotten him back, the doctors looked him over and said there was a folded up paper found in his mouth...his mouth

'End this now and stop looking. This is my message to you. Our mission will soon be complete and we'll be out of your hair. If you continue, I'll be forced to take someone you love next, and this time I mean permanently.' I had read. 

Other than that, he had obviously undergone many days of torture and I couldn't even think about what they did to him. 

I felt a hand on my shoulder bringing me from my thoughts and I looked over to see Brian giving me a small smile. 

"We're ready when you are." He said and I let out a sigh and stood to my feet. 

"Lets go." 

We were headed to find the man, Karl Allen, who had been at every crime scene once again. We think he's held up at his girlfriend's house and we were counting on it. 

We needed to know what information he told the chief that was powerful enough that the chief had to be killed, and we had to find this man before he was killed too. 

***

I knocked on the front door of the house and it was silent for a moment until I saw a girl peek out the window hesitantly, but ducked when she saw me. Idiot

"I know you're in there, Maya." I spoke again beating on the door. 

I heard the door unlock and it was opened just a bit to show maybe two inches of her face as she eyed me nervously. 

"Maya, we need to speak with your boyfriend. Do you have any idea where he is?" I asked and she shook her head. 

"No." She replied softly. 

"Maya...must I remind you that he is in deep danger. We need to keep him safe. If you don't want him to die this is the way to not let him." She noticeably gulped and opened the door wider. 

"He told me not to trust anyone." She said barely above a whisper and I could see the fear imprinted on her. 

"Im not the bad guy, I promise." I slowly held my hand up as I reached into my pocket and her eyes widened but relaxed some when I pulled out my ID and badge. 

"Im Emily Sire, I work with the FBSI. I mean you no harm and I plan to keep you safe." She looked to Brian, Claire, and Wesley behind me. 

"These are my team members. They're helping me." I added and she slowly nodded. 

"So where did he go?" Tears built up in her eyes. 

"I told him not to! H-he's already a target!" She sobbed. 

"Where did he go, Maya?!" 

"H-he went to a party to warn someone or something. I don't know. He had this theory about why all these people were getting killed. Something about...his original pack. I don't know." She sobbed and I glanced at the crew before looking back at her. 

"Can you tell me where the party is? Some address or something?" I asked and she sniffled before thinking and shut the door causing me to grit my teeth as I heard a lock and I went to bang on the door when Brian caught my wrist.