Chapter Nineteen|| New Start

{Emily's POV}

"Okay everyone I wanted you looking everywhere. If you even pick up on a different scent follow it. I don't want to leave this trail without any evidence! Am I understood?" I called out and they agents tightened their grips on their guns.

"Yes, Chief." They spoke and I fought the urge to flinch at the title.

I signaled for us to disperse and we all did so. Different groups went different ways and I lead the biggest. We have to find something. Tanner can't be gone...he just can't.

Wesley walked beside with me with a depressed expression. He's been wearing himself out the past nights looking everywhere and staying up to go back over trails. He's blaming everything on himself and he's starting to shut himself off from us. This was what I was afraid of.

"What about through there?" I asked pointing to a field and he shook his head.

"I've already been that way. Through there is where the warehouse was that we first saw. We've checked it three times now. They're too smart. They've already moved locations. They knew we were onto them."

I wanted to growl in frustration.

"Okay then we'll go this way." I mumbled walking down a path with knee high weeds.

"Emily?"

"Hm?"

"Do you'll think we'll find him?" Wesley asked and I couldn't find it in myself to say yes or no and he realized that nodding softly.

"We can only hope." I replied and kept walking.

As I took a step forward my boot came down and I heard a crunch and I held my fist up quickly making everyone halt.

Slowly, I looked down and removed my boot and there it laid: Tanner's phone.

"His phone!" I yelled quickly scooping down and picking it up.

Brian soon came into view and took it from my hands eagerly. He looked it over and sighed.

"It smashed...but I might be able to get some things off it back at the station," He met my eyes. "This might be a new start. Get all the groups in this area...he was near." Brian mumbled looking around and in that moment...it felt that we were ants in a huge forest waiting to be killed.

I always just felt off in these woods.

***

"It's just so weird...he went back for his phone but he never got it." Claire said and I made a 'what' face.

"He was attacked...obviously he didn't get it." I said and she sighed.

"Im just saying. There's no blood or anything around it. We don't know that he was attacked." She said and I raised a brow.

"What are you hinting at Claire?" I asked and she thought her words over before replying with a shrug.

"I just feel we're not getting the whole story...that's all." She mumbled and a minute later Brian walked in.

"Anything?" I asked sitting up in my chair of the Claire's hotel room.

"Nothing yet...i've got to do a couple more things before I can try anything on the phone." I nodded and he looked to be in thought.

"What?"

"I just...I'm worried. It's been days and usually the killer stages someone right after he kills them and I just-"

"Brian, breathe." I said and get took in a deep breath.

"If and I'm only saying if...he's...gone...this killer is planning on something big. He's wanting to get his message across, Em. And that terrifies me. I can't see someone that's like my brother get strung up by a noose or something, I just can't." He said and Claire stood up walking over to him and placed a hand on the side of his face.