Chapter Seventeen|| Black Veil

{Emily's POV}

I stood with our other agents around the burial site. The only color you saw was black and the only expressions people wore was those of sorrow. I felt numb and empty. The Chief, or as some called him Keith, was like a father to me ever since I joined the force. He took me under his wing and created one hell of an agent out of me. He taught me to never give up and to always fight. If only I could have figured this mess out sooner...he wouldn't be lying in the casket in front of me. 

His wife sobbed as their children comforted her. She soon will lose her mind because her mate has died and the bond has severed. Not only did his children lose their father but soon a mother.  I hated whoever was doing this. I hated them. Chief was doing nothing wrong but trying to stop a hatred in the world and how was he repaid? A bullet to the head. 

Agents spoke great words about him. They told his war stories and his funny moments. They spoke about how they respected him and how he loved each and every one of us. How he worked until the job was done and encouraged us to do the same. 

I was supposed to speak. I was supposed to give this great speech about the man lying dead before me, but I felt sick at my stomach to even open my mouth. I failed him. If I could have caught this killer sooner...none of this would be happening. No one would be grieving for the loss of a great man. 

"Emily? Anything you would like to say?" His son had asked me. 

Yes, a great deal. 

"I-" I opened my mouth to speak but had to take a deep breath. "The Chief was like a father to me as most know." I spoke and felt Claire take my hand into hers. 

"He was the first to show me the ropes of this job, he was the first to show me how to raise a gun, how to catch the bad guys, and how to handle my own case. He believed in me when others didn't, he believed in me when I didn't believe in myself, and never once let me down. There was times where I found myself stuck and he gave that small push in the right direction. He gave me someone to look up to and for that I will always be grateful. Though, there was one thing he would never ever let me do: give up. And I won't. 

I will get justice for the life that was taken from us. I will find this man and I will not let him get away with taking any more lives. We will find him and we will put him behind bars. I swear on it. I am not giving up until I can say that Keith can rest in peace. That all these other victims of this hate can rest in peace. I will not stop until the job is done...just like Keith wouldn't." I looked down letting out a breath. 

I couldn't say anymore. I wanted to scream at the world and I felt as if I opened my mouth once more that is exactly what would happen. Claire noticed my hesitancy and my tighter grip on her hand and spoke up changing the attention away from me. 

Who has to die next for this killer to be satisfied? 

***

After the burial everyone said their goodbyes. The last of the tears were dried up and everyone parted their ways. Though, there I stood as it started to slowly rain. I stood by his grave, hands in pockets, not knowing what to do. 

What was to come next? 

What pain would hit me next?

"Chief, I'm so sorry," I spoke to out into the cold, crisp air. "I failed you. I didn't do the job correctly. Maybe if I would have thought harder, stayed up longer, or...or...just-" New tears filled my eyes and I quickly blinked them away. 

"I don't know what to do," A sob left me and I hated myself for feeling so weak. "I fear for everyone around me. I know I have to keep looking and I have to keep fighting, but what is the costs to come?" 

If only he was here to tell me to suck it up and keep trying. I needed that gruff voice to pull me out of this hell hole I have fallen into. First Tanner goes missing, now Chief is dead...who else will be taken from me?

I heard the footsteps approaching and I knew who they were. The officials...four of them in their uptight suits ready to push over a new job. 

"Emily." One spoke and I held up my hand. 

"Do we have to do this now?" I croaked out looking at them and they gave me a look of pity. 

"I know now is not the time but given the circumstances we-" 

"Then why are you here? You couldn't have waited until at least for us to actually leave the damn cemetery?" I snapped. 

"Miss Sire... We don't have time for this." Another replied with a bite in his tone. "A killer is on the loose-"

"Which I am very well aware of. Now, can you please leave?" I cut him off. 

"Emily, you're up to be the new chief. You're the FBSI's new leader. They need you to guide them. We've contacted Alpha Jackson and he sends his condolences, but he has to come swear you in as the new chief tomorrow. We can't waste time." I rolled my eyes turning on my heels walking away. 

"Emily!" One called and I clinched my fist together. 

"I'll be there!" I yelled praying the would just shut the hell up and leave me alone. 

Goddess help me. 

***

"They want you to be chief? Right away?" Oliver asked as he pulled back the comforter of his bed. 

"Yeah." I mumbled completely drained and worn out. 

I crawled into the bed as did Oliver and he was quick to open up his arms to which I gratefully accepted. 

He wrapped one around me tightly using the other to pull up the cover around us as I laid my head on his chest finally able to feel more content than I have all day. 

"Em, just know that if you want to talk...I'm here." He said and I smiled. 

"I know." 

_____________________________________________________________________________

EM IS ABOUT TO BE CHIEF

JACKSON IS COMING IN THE NEXT CHAPTAAAA EVERYONE REMAIN CALM

So this was a boring chapter, but had to be done. 

Anyways...thoughts so far on this book? Are you liking it? Hating it? Confused?

VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE