Chapter 6

Rachael:

The first day was boring as hell. Of course I tired to stay below the radar, but Rowan and Rosie would not stop bugging me about making new friends. The problem is that they just don't get it. They don't understand how important it is to not get to involved with anything.

Besides, after we graduate high school, I plan on moving to London. Not Manchester. Manchester has too many bad memories that I would highly prefer not to get reminded of. Rosie however, seems to be in a totally different boat. We've only been here for about three days, and Rosie already seems to be in love with L.A.

I'm not quite sure with Rowan though. She's the most complicated sister out of the three of us. It's so hard to understand how she's feeling. She's like a safe. Always locking things inside, from emotions, to secrets.

Speaking of Rowan, where the hell is she? She had texted me and Rosie during last period to let us know she was staying after school and that she would walk home. Once I read that text, it left me confused and suspicious. Why would she need to stay after school? It was the first day. She can't really make up any tests. And I'm assuming she wasn't getting help from teachers because we didn't really do anything today. Teachers just gave out the syllabus and went over class expectations.

"Rosie!" I yell. I look around, wondering where she went.

"Yeah?" Rosie asks, walking into the kitchen.

"Where's Rowan?"

"I don't know. She said she'd be home around 5:30."

"Yes, but do you know where she is?" Rosie shakes her head. "How are you not the least bit curious? What if she's doing something illegal? Or hooking up with a guy?" I ask.

"One, we've all done illegal things. In fact, if the police ever found out, our whole family would be in jail. Two, Rowan probably went to go hang out with Bella. She's super nice."

"Hm." I think for a moment. "We're going to train at seven. Rowan better be back."

"Do you know if we have an assignment coming up?"

"Yes. Mom and Dad said they would give us more detail later."

***

Rowan:

After putting my last cleat into my bag, I receive a text from Rosie.

Training @ 7

I sigh. I'm already exhausted, but I should have known that I would still have to train and play soccer. Now that I think about it, the days I have games I won't be able to train. Varsity games are usually later than JV; ours are usually around 6:30.

"Great job out there today Rowan." Lexi, one of the captains says.

I smile. "Thanks. I'm excited to play. It'll be my first soccer game in the States."

"So listen, the other captains are Marley and Jess. But Marley and I think Jess is slacking off. Always skipping practice and drinks way too much at parties. That looks bad for the team, ya know?"

I nod my head in understanding. My coach back in Manchester would have killed us if he ever caught us smoking or drinking.

"I guess I was just wondering if you'd like to step up as captain. Marley and I are going to talk to Coach and ask if we can replace Jess, and I know he'll say yes. Now, I don't normally ask the new girl, but you get along great with the other girls, and Marley speaks highly of you."

I don't think it's possible for my smile to get any bigger. "Yes. I'd love too!"

"Great, we'll officially announce you as captain tomorrow at practice. I'll see you later Rowan!" She waves goodbye.