Chapter 7

Rowan:

"Our family has been invited to some gala tonight. At 7. They sent a limo to pick us up at 6:50. Rowan, I don't care if you have soccer, you have to be there tonight." Rachael states.

"I wouldn't miss something like this. Soccer ends at 5. Calm down, I'll be ready." I grab my bag for school. "Oh, and I'm going to drive myself today, since I'm staying later at school."

I made sure to pack a snack for soccer. Today was super important, soccer wise. I was going to be announced as a new captain. I needed to get along with everyone as best as I could. I didn't want to be like Jess, who slacked off. I don't want to be like Ashlyn, who seems to be negative towards anyone new, or as Luke put it, "a threat". I needed to show Marley and Lexi that picking me was a good choice.

Growing up with parents like ours, Rachael, Rosie and I always felt like we had to impress our parents in order for them to be proud of us. And since our family is one of the most highly respected families in England and California, the weight of not messing up is constantly on our backs. When the three of us were younger, we always battled against each other to be the best at everything.

As we got older however, we realized that we each had our strengths and weaknesses. Rosie for example; Rosie always lost when it came to sparring. Then she realized that fighting just wasn't for her. So she stopped and focused more on computers and breaking codes.

Rachael and I are a different story. We both know that we are each others competition. In some ways, it makes us stronger. We help each other get better by challenging each other. To this day we still challenge each other, always betting on who's better.

***

Arriving at school, I see Bella at my locker. She sees me and waves.

"There you are! I was hoping this was your locker. I was afraid someone would come to this locker and it wouldn't be you."

"They probably wouldn't find it odd since it's you." I joke.

"Haha. Anyways, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out after school. Or after soccer, in your case."

I'm about to tell her yes, that'd I'd love too. To be honest, I've been a little sad not having any other friends to hang out with. I used to hang out with my friends everyday after school in Manchester at this cute little café. I stop myself before saying yes, realizing I can't. I have that gala I have to go to tonight.

"I'd love too, but I have a family thing to attend to." I say.

"Oh. What type of family thing?" She asks curiously.

"I...uh...my parents have this charity event for their job. Yeah. That's it." I say, just stretching the truth a little.

"Oh. Are Rachael and Rosie going too?"

"Yeah, my parents are big on our family image." This was not a lie. At all. My parents worked hard to be where they are now. They care a lot about our families reputation. They would practically die if one of the three of us somehow ruined it. My parents don't really live with us. They're always travelling and they even have their own flat that they own. They only use it when they're doing private work.

The bell rings, signaling the five minute warning till class. Bella and I make our way to history. It's great having her in this class, because history gets pretty boring. Not to mention I always end up almost falling asleep.

"I'm sorry I can't hang out tonight. Maybe tomorrow?" I ask sitting in my desk.

"Don't be silly. It's not your fault you have a family thing. And tomorrow works great. Oh! And you should clear your schedule for Friday." Bella says.