Chapter 23

Rowan:

"Hang those streamers over there."

"Put the tables along the edge of the floor."

"Can't you guys blow up those balloons any faster?"

Kylie, and the rest of Student Council was directing volunteers to where they wanted certain things to go.

I was one of those poor volunteers. Volunteering isn't bad, it's just that it's a Friday and all I want to do is go home to take a quick nap. Is that so much to ask? I can't leave though. I promised Rosie that I'd help.

Luke has also volunteered to help with setting up the dance. I think he just wants to work with me so he can annoy me. Mission accomplished for him.

Ashlyn didn't show up. No shocker there. I guess after our little fight, she hasn't really wanted to talk to me. Well, that's fine by me.

Kylie asked me and Luke to hang up the streamers along the walls, so that's what I'm doing. Well, I'm trying to hang them up. I can't reach where Kylie wants them due to my 5'3'' height.

Luke, who stands at 6', could be helping, but has decided to annoy me instead. He keeps poking me in my side and playing with my hair. What's even worse are the puns he keeps telling me.

"Hey, I lost my number. Can I have yours?" Luke whispers to me.

"Are you a magician? 'Cause whenever I'm with you, everything else disappears."

"Are you tired? 'Cause you've been running through my mind all day."

"Are you a phone charger? Because with out you, I'd die."

I start laughing and Luke laughs with me. I have absolutely no idea where he gets these pick up lines from, but I have to admit, they're pretty damn funny.

"You're so corny Luke. Where do you get these?" I laugh.

"Seriously? I think my jokes are a-maize-ing!" Luke laughs, causing me to laugh.

"Okay. Okay. For real, we've got to hang these streamers and I can't reach. Could you help?" I ask, waving my hands towards the many streamers we still haven't hung.

Luke grins, "Sure. I'd love to help."

I grab a couple streamers and hand them over to him, but Luke just shakes his head. I look at him confused as he turns his back to me.

"Get on my back. I'll hold you up." Luke winks at me.

I roll my eyes at him. "Really? You can't hang them up yourself?"

Luke shakes his head. "Nah, this is much better."

I sigh, knowing not to argue with him. He'll win anyways, so there's no point. I grab a few streamers and jump onto Luke's back. His hands wrap under my thighs, supporting me up so I won't fall.

"You comfortable up there Princess?" Luke asks me.

I blush at how close we are, so relieved that he can't see my red face. "Let's just get this over with please?"

I hear Luke chuckle, "Whatever you want Princess."

Hanging up the streamers takes us ten minutes. I'm shocked Luke only had to take one break from holding me. I'm definitely not the skinniest person alive. Kylie makes us string up the lights around the gym and set up the photo booth. The whole time Luke continues on and on with his cheesy pick up lines. By the end, my stomachs hurting from laughing so much.

Luke offers to take me home and begrudgingly I accept. I love Luke's white Jeep. He has the top off and windows rolled down. I relax my arm on the windowsill, hanging my hand out the window. The wind blows my hair around my face, causing it to go every where. The radio's blasting with music as I sing along.