Chapter 41

Rowan:

My throat is sore.

My muscles are stiff.

I try sitting up, but I wince at a sharp pain in my stomach.

The room I'm in is a dull gray. It's depressing.

When my eyes come into focus, I look around more. There's no windows in here, or any wall décor. I look to my right hand and notice that another hand is holding mine.

I would know that head of hair laying next to my side anywhere. Luke's sleeping soundly beside me. His body sitting in a chair with his head resting on the bed.

I squeeze his hand and Luke's head immediately pops up. His hair is a mess and he looks groggy. However, when his eyes land on me, his eyes widen and he sits up straighter.

"Rowan." He scoots his chair closer to me, "You're awake.  How are you feeling? Are you in pain? Should I get the doctor? Actually, I should get the doctor." Luke begins to stand up but I pull him back towards me.

"Princess? What's wrong?" Luke asks, rushing back to my side.

I shake my head at him, "I'm fine Luke. A little sore but I'm all good. Nothing I can't handle. "

Luke looks hesitant, "Are you sure?"

I roll my eyes, "Yes. Stop being such a worry rat."

Luke nods and sits back down.

"What happened?" I ask him, grabbing his hand.

Luke starts to play with my fingers, "You were shot. Rachael told everyone to pull back, but you never responded. I got scared. I ran to where you were posted and—" Luke pauses and takes a deep breath, "You were just lying there. Your shirt was soaked with blood and you were loosing consciousness.

I immediately picked you up and Rachael drove us here. This is my gang's doctor. He patches us up so we can avoid the hospital and any police matters."

"And what about the drug dealers?" I ask.

Luke sighs, "They got away, but we'll get them. What matters is that you heal and stay safe." Luke looks down, avoiding eye contact with me.

He feels guilty. I know he does.

"Hey." I tell him, placing my hand on his cheek, "Look at me."

Slowly, Luke lifts his head up to me.

"There was nothing you could do." I tell him firmly, "Stop beating yourself up for it."

Luke nods, "I guess you're right. Rachael gave me the same talk too." Luke smirks lightly, "Well, Rachael's words were more to the point."

"That sounds like her."

A knock at the door brings my attention away from Luke.

Rosie and Rachael's head pop through. Along with Rosie, was a gigantic teddy bear and my favorite chocolate.

"Is she awake?" Rosie asks softly.

"Yeah, I'm awake." I respond smiling.

Rachael opens the door all the way and mutters, "About time."

I roll my eyes at her, "Admit it. You were worried about me."

"You wish." Rachael smirks. She shoos Luke out of his chair, causing him to fall off, "Seriously though, how ya feeling?"

"I'm great. I'll be even better once everyone stops asking me if I'm okay and I get my hands on that chocolate."

"I'll give you guys some time." Luke says, standing up from his fall. "I'll check on you later Princess." Luke presses a soft kiss to my cheek and my lips.