Chapter 49

Rowan:

The gun shot echoes and it seems as if the world turns into slow motion.

I don't know where the bullet was aimed at, so I brace for impact.

However, I don't drop to the ground in pain. In fact, I don't feel pain at all.

Someone screams loudly and I turn towards the high pitch voice.

Rosie lays on the ground, groaning in agony. Blood soaks her shirt and all I seem to see is the color crimson everywhere.

"Rosie!" I shout, running towards her side, "Stay awake! Please!" I turn my head towards Rachael, who seems to be frozen in place.

Anger surges through me as I yell at Rachael, "What the hell are you doing? Move! Do something!"

Rachael doesn't move however, which prompts Lily to let out a cruel laugh, "Rachael has always been weak. She's just too stubborn to admit it. Come on Rachael! Shoot me! I dare you."

Rachel doesn't move. What the hell is wrong with her?

"Rachel! Shoot!" I scream.

Lily smirks, "Really Rowan? Rachel could never shoot me. She doesn't have the balls to do so."

I face towards Lily and glare at her, "Rachel might not," I grab my gun and set the trigger, "But I will." With all the hate and anger built inside of me, I let go of the trigger and aim right at Lily.

The bullet zips through the air, and hits directly on Lily's forehead. She doesn't have time to react before she drops to the ground like a rock. Her gun falls with her, leaving her grip. I sprint over to Lily and kick her gun away from her.

Lily lays motionless on the ground. Blood oozing out of her forehead. I reach down and feel for a pulse. Nothing.

"She's dead." I pronounce, dullness coating my words.

Rachael finally speaks, "Oh my God."

I turn to her, "I really want to beat the shit out of you for doing nothing, but I'm not. We need to get Rosie to a hospital. Now."

I walk over to Rosie, who seems to be mumbling nonsense.

"Hang in there Rose." I whisper.

I speak into my intercom, "How's everyone doing?"

Ashlyn responds first, "I'm all good. Just some scratches."

"Me, Flynn, and a couple other guys got Johnathan surrounded. He's been shot but still alive." Luke says.

I nod to myself, "Kill him. He's worthless to us now." I mutter.

"Got it boss." Flynn speaks.

I look at Rachael who has finally seemed to remember how to move her feet. She scoops up Rosie, "Let's go."

I nod, "Stay strong Rosie!"

Rachel and I move as quickly as possible to the car. Most of the chaos has calmed now. Bodies are littered everywhere, moans and screams now bouncing off the silos.

As Rachael and I continue running, I slow myself down when I pass a familiar bush.

Phillip.

I quickly come to a halt and Rachael gives me a questionable look. I shout at her, "Keep going! I'll meet you at the car!"

I make a quick detour and run to the bush where I left Phillip.

"Phillip!" I scream when I round the corner. I rush to his side, panting slightly, "Come on Phillip, wake up." I chant to myself.

It's too late.