Chapter 10

Rowan:

The final bell rings, dismissing everyone from class. I hurry to my locker, where Bella is waiting.

"There you are! Ready to go?" Bella asks.

"Yeah, just let me put these books away."

"I cannot wait to hang out with you outside of school. I've never had a British friend. And don't worry about American high school stuff, I'll teach you everything you need to know. From football games, to spirit week, and," Bella nudges her elbow at me, "school dances. Which, I believe homecoming is coming up very soon."

"Oh great!" I say with sarcasm. I've never been to a dance before. Unless you count the one I went to when I was six and was forced to dance with every boy in my class.

"Have you ever been to a dance?"

"No. Not really."

We start heading for the doors, following the flow of all the other kids leaving. I lead her over to my car and we climb in after throwing our bags into the back.

"I gotta ask. How many cars does your family own?" Bella asks, admiring the red Ferrari I drove today.

"Eight. Rachael, Rosie and I have our own technically, but we like to borrow the other five too."

"Holy crap. I have two brothers, a mom and dad, and we have three cars. It sucks 'cause I have to share with my brother."

Furrowing my brows I say, "I didn't know you had brothers, and that one of them could drive. How old are they?"

"Asher is our age, and I have a little brother who's ten and his name is Michael, but we like to call him Mikey." She grins. "He hates that name."

Asher. As in the Asher who I bumped into on my run? And the Asher I have English with?

"So, is Asher your twin then?" If they're in the same grade, they've gotta be twins, right?

"Haha nope. We get asked that a lot, but no. Asher was born January 7th, and I was born December 18th of the same year."

I start the car and Bella gives me the directions to her house. She lives in a nice, friendly neighborhood. The houses are pretty average sized, all looking slightly similar. After about ten minutes, we pull into a long driveway. The house is painted with a pale yellow, with flowers blooming in front. The grass is s little dead, but I hear that California is going through a slight drought right now.

Wait a second. This looks exactly like the house I got lost in front of. But all these houses do look similar, maybe this is a different house than the one I saw before.

"Your house is beautiful." I comment. They have a small rose bush, which contains my favorite flowers.

"Thanks, my mom's a big gardener. I swear, she's outside more than she is inside."

I chuckle at her and follow her inside. The moment I step inside the house, the smell of fresh baked cookies hits me. A small grin takes over my face. I absolutely love fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. My Mom's not home often, so she doesn't really make them. But our chef makes the best ones.

"Bella honey, is that you?" A women's voice comes from the kitchen.

Bella rolls her eyes and mouths parents, "Yeah it's me Mom! I brought a friend over too."

A middle aged women walks into the room with an apron wrapped around her. She has bright eyes like Bella and shares the same dirty blonde hair as Bella too. "Well, hello there! My name's Kathy. And please, call me Kathy too. Mrs. Hillman makes me sound old."