Chapter 42

Rowan:

Luke stays after school for football, so I head home with Rachael and Rosie. I told Luke I was going to his game this Friday and he was absolutely ecstatic with happiness. I smiled at him and kissed his cheek.

Luke wanted more than just a kiss on the cheek but his football friends dragged him away.

"Mom texted me. She wants us home right after school." Rosie says from the backseat of the car.

I pull out of my daze and turn to look at Rosie, "Did she say why?"

Rosie shakes her head.

"Guess we'll find out." Rachael says, pulling into the driveway.

Bosco comes running out of the house, barking happily. He jumps on top of me and I fall to the ground. A sharp pain shoots through me but I shake it off.

I'm still healing from the bullet wound but I've made lots of progress. Sadly, I still won't be able to participate in any upcoming assignments.

"You coming Ro?" Rachael calls from the open front door.

"Yeah. Be right in!" I respond.

I stand up slowly, taking deep breaths. Bosco licks my face, his way of apologizing for knocking me down.

"Rowan! Took you long enough! Someone's here to see you." Mom says rushing me in to the house.

Suddenly, a pair of hands cover my eyes and I let out a squeal.

"Guess who." The male voice speaks.

I grin to myself, already knowing who he is.

"Flinnie!" I yell.

Flynn uncovers my eyes and turns me around. I throw my arms around his neck.

"What's up Ro-boat?" Flynn chuckles.

"Just happy that you're here." I smile, "As happy as I am that you're here, why are you here?"

"Did you think I wasn't going to come and visit you after you've been shot?"

I grin at him.

"I'm making your favorite tonight Flynn! Chicken Parmesan!" Mom calls out from the kitchen.

She loves Flynn like he's her own son. Actually, she treats the whole gang like her sons. That's what the gang is though, one big family.

"Thanks Mama Royal!" Flynn shouts.

"How long you staying?" Rosie asks.

"Don't know yet. It's pretty chill back home, so this is kind of like a vacation for me."

"Lucky bastard. You get off school." Rachael comments.

"I wish. No school, but there's always online work."

The four of us go to the game room to wait before dinner's ready.

We've gone from seeing Flynn everyday back in Manchester to now only talking via text.

"We should hit the beach. I could use a good tan and some sun." Flynn says, plopping down on a bean bag.

"We could go tomorrow. It's supposed to hit 96°F." Rachael suggests.

"What about school?" Rosie asks.

"Simple. We don't go." Rachael says in a "duh" tone.

"I know Mom would let it slide, but Dad wouldn't." I say.

"They don't have to know we skipped."

***

"Have a good day at school girls!" Mom shouts from the doorway, "Don't get into any trouble Flynn or I will find out!"