Chapter 8

Rowan:

After school, I'm at my locker, gathering my books to bring home. Tonight is the gala. I've been to many of these types of events. They're basically high class parties that are used for people to show off their wealth and use social media to boast about their social hierarchy. Rachael, Rosie and I hate these events. When we were younger, the three of us would get into so much trouble. From ruining the fancy décor, to starting small fires, the three of us were the most troublesome at every party. The best part was that we never got caught. Ever. Mom and Dad weren't so clueless. They usually knew we were behind the trouble, but of course, they would never tell because it would ruin our reputation.

The only good thing about these gala's was that I'm able to wear fancy gowns. As girly as it sounds, I absolutely LOVE dresses, and dress shopping. Like I said before, gala's were used to show off your wealth and our parents care a lot about our appearances. So tonight, I'll be doing a quick private modeling show in my room.

"Rowan! Let's go! I have you're uniform too, by the way." Marley shakes my shoulder.

"Alright cool. What number am I?" I ask.

"#8." She hands me my uniform.

In the locker rooms, I get dressed quickly, already running a little late. On my way out, I see Luke in his football gear. He catches me looking at him and winks. Oh that boy. So annoying. I shake my head and jog over to our half of the field. The varsity girls soccer team and football team share half of the turf usually.

When I reach the team, I see everyone gathered in a semi-circle. Lexi sees me and waves me to her side. I walk over as Lexi begins talking. "Ladies, after lots of talking and consideration, we have decided to remove Jess as captain and assign Rowan in place of her." Lexi pauses and is about to continue when she gets interrupted.

"What? Are you serious? You're making the newbie a captain? She just joined the team. That's not fair to some of the girls who's been on this team way longer." This comment comes from none other than Ashlyn herself.

"Hey! If you've got a problem, you talk to me or Coach after practice. From what Marley and I have seen, all the girls seem to get along great with Rowan except you. Check your attitude or you'll be benched, junior."

I have to bite my tongue to stop myself from laughing. The comment from Lexi shuts Ashlyn up, but doesn't stop her from sending me a death glare.

***

"You have an hour before the limo's here to pick us up." Rachael tells me.

Great. That gives me no time to take a shower, do my makeup and find a dress. I rush up the stairs and drop my bags in the corner of my room. I take the quickest shower ever and wrap myself in a white fluffy towel.

I walk into my walk-in closet and try to look for a fitting gown. I decide on a classic long black dress. The black silk hugs my body like second skin. There's a slit that runs up the right of my leg. The neckline is an off the shoulder with lace and tiny jewels embedded on the bodice. To finish my look, I add a smoky eye and nude heels.

"Limo's here!" I hear Rosie's voice from downstairs.

I grab my clutch and add a pair of hoop earrings. I have to take the stairs down carefully so I don't trip. I look at Rosie who's wearing a red lace gown with layers flowing down. I hear Rachael behind and turn around to look at her. She's looks amazing in a dark blue chiffon gown.

"Let's get this done and over with." I say climbing into the limo.

"Remember, we stick close together and we have to make sure we find Mom and Dad. They're going to want lots of photos. And most importantly, no fighting between either of us!" Rosie states.