Chapter 8: Worried fingers

Dr. Locker's POV:

My skin crawled and burned from hunger. I haven't ate since the last operation. I checked my watch and it was pass two. Darn, it's hard to take charge in the operating rooms, specially for I am the only doctor left who knows surgery.

The secretary I worked with, walked with a bounce in each of her steps. Her heels clicking on the slippery floors. I walked quickly as I could, there were so many surgeries needed to be managed, and I was the one liable for these patients.

"Give me records from room 236 up to room 241, ASAP!" I commanded my secretary. She nodded immediately and went to each room I assigned her to be in.

Where is Valorium? She said she'll be here in a minute. I functioned my homing device and contacted Dr. Valorium. Her face lit up from the small screen projected by it.

"Where are you?" I briskly asked. She looked like she was pacing. "Come here quickly, I need assistance." I continued.

The call ended and I continued checking all the patients inside the treatment centers. A group of wounded survivors were brought here this past two days and I for one, couldn't figure out why there are so many.

A moment passed swiftly, I got so tired which made me sit down on one of the benches inside the center. I haven't eaten, not a single bite, and my stomach's grumbling about it. I could see the other doctors went to help the wounded. I wanted to do the same but I couldn't move one single bit, I was too tired to move, adding up with hunger, how can I finish one task?

I watched the other doctors wrapping up their patients and running around all over the place. I was marveled myself, seeing the treatment centers at a toxic state.

"Dr. Locker." Someone from behind called my name. I briefly took a glimpse and saw that it was Dr. Ford.

"Oh, Dr. Ford." I greeted back. He sat next to me and gave me something wrapped in parchment papers. It turned out to be macaroons, and I was stunned by what he did.

"I heard that you haven't eaten, so I grabbed these macaroons before arriving here," he smiled after. I was cautious when he did, but out of my appetite, I eventually ate up the whole pack. I mouthed a thank you and he left afterward.

Sooner or later, I got to take my break of my own. Dr. Valorium got back inside the treatment centers and she took charge. I was mutely walking when my eyes met a familiar room. It showed: Room 125. I peeped into the room and saw that she was still there. It has been two weeks since I last saw her inside this room, but why is she still inside the treatment centers?

The time I was looking at her, I perceived a presence from behind.