Chapter 29: Immolation

Nurse Grey's POV:

Sirens blared in every corner. "Come on! Let's go!" he shouted while grabbing my arm. We're both at the place where the capsules are. Fortunately, when the sirens sounded, I'm nearby and as usual, he was with me. Biohazards were furiously entering the dome. The defense mechanisms were all down, nothing can save us. Our only hope were to stay inside our capsules, it's our only chance of living.

"No! I need to do my job. You should go!" I said trying to wrestle my arm out of his grip.

He glared at me but through it, I can see his terror and desperation to get the both of us somewhere safe. I tried to look as stubborn and serious as I could.

We waited for the other to give up the fight and just do as the other says. I can see my reflection in those green eyes. Small pale face framed by wavy dark hair, grey eyes and freckles sprayed across my nose bridge but one thing that's unmistakable is my fake stubbornness and determination.

I really wanted to go hide inside our capsules, safe with him until the omen settles down, and we can live happily ever after, but I just can't. So many lives depend on me. 

I dropped my gaze, trying to stop my tears from falling. Crying will only make things worse.

"I'll be back, I promise," I whispered. For what felt like an eternity, he didn't move. I stared at his face and saw a battle of emotions happening in there. He doesn't want to let go but he knows my responsibility.

Suddenly, his grip on my arm loosened and a single tear trickled down his cheek. Joshua, the citizen who saved my life once, with his forest green eyes, brown hair and tall and strong body, never cried. He never had enough reason to do so.

"I have to go, Josh," I said turning. I don't have to look to know that he hadn't moved, just standing there, watching me.

'Don't look back, Grey,' I ordered myself but before I knew it, I stopped walking. 'No, do not look back,' I repeated stronger this time but I couldn't help it. I turned and saw that he's still there at the very same spot where I left him, crying.

"Josh-" I said walking towards him. For a moment, the sirens faded and it was just the two of us in the world.

He reached out suddenly and puts a warm hand on both sides of my face, tracing my eyebrows, his thumb resting lightly for one miraculous second on my bottom lip.

And then he puts a hand behind my neck and pulls me toward him. And then we're kissing. His lips are soft and leave mine tingling. I close my eyes and in the darkness behind them I see beautiful blossoming things, flowers spinning like snowflakes, and hummingbirds beating the same rhythm as my heart. He pulled away too soon, still cupping my face. "Aisha Felicity Grey, keep your promise." We stay there like that, staring at each other, and for once I'm not feeling anxious or worried about everything. I'm just happy, held in his eyes, buoyed up in a warm, bright place but reality comes crashing back. We can't stay here.