Chapter 32: Adjourned Rectifier

Mian yorobun!

Got to have a slight detour for me, haven't been myself lately.

Anyways, here's Chapter 32, the book is almost done. Glad that every each and one of you appreciated it.

Originally written by Rei Baquiran/ReiBaquiran4. Enjoy!!!

---

Dr. Kerger's POV:

I reached for the pen from the table, scribbling the data on the paper laid before me as I poured a sample on an evaporated dish. I took infinite chances in formulating the cure but none of them was successful but the lives of everyone is at risk, that's why now is not the perfect time to quit. Dr. Valorium did the job very well, and I only had to do some add-ons for it to be complete.

Using a dropper, I got a small amount of the chemical I am working on and placed on the litmus paper. My hopes rose up with the thought of it resulting to a base, but all I got was acid. In my dismay, I almost threw the dropper away when the door of my laboratory creaked open. This recent activity gave me creeps. I kept my doors locked because if I didn't, I could possibly die from those biohazards.

I stopped my tracks when loud steps filled my laboratory. Lieutenant Silver in her usual uniform, walking proudly in my laboratory with her eyes all over the place, giving equal attention to all my materials and laboratory equipment except me. I straighten my posture. She is known for being strict. I pursed my lips into a thin line.

"What brought you here, Lieutenant?" I politely asked, lowering my voice as deep as I can. "I thought you were dead?" I added.

Lieutenant Silver stopped her tracks. Her hair swaying from her soft pace, hands rested on the pocket of her leather pants and mouth curved into a small smile.

"You took it too literal doctor," she smiled. "Oh and this? I was just passing by and saw you doing something." She emphasized the last word, her eyebrows raising in addition. I took a deep breath, the atmosphere filled with pressure. "What's that?" She pointed out the flask that I was holding.

I shifted my attention to the chemicals she's pointing at, "Uh, the cure."

She nodded, her fingers trailed on the flasks and the tubes displayed.

"For what?"

"Mankind," That's the simplest answer I could give. As much as it's hard to believe, I don't trust Lieutenant Silver. Something about her is off.

I rested my hands on the pocket of my lab gown, shifting my weight on the table behind me. I kept my calmness as I can, even though my heart is beating fast.

"I see," Her fingers tapping on my wooden table. Her voice was serene, serene enough that it hinted an evil scheme to it. "Do you mind leaving the room, Lieutenant?" Politely, I bowed a little. My request may offend her, but I need to work alone. "I need to continue what I am doing."

"Why can't you continue while I'm here? I'll watch." She smiled.

My request was immediately rejected. Although, I'm not in favor of this. I kept my feet on the floor.

The silence stretched. I don't mind, all I want is for her to move and go on with whatever she was doing before all of this.

"Lieutenant, why can--"

"Oh please," Lieutenant Silver chuckled, "Why do you want me to leave?"

"I need to focus on my ex--"

"Do you see me as a threat?" She answered with conviction. Her words marked in my ears one by one. I looked at her straight in her eyes. My mouth ran dry, unable to respond.

"Yes," With all my might, the answer escaped my lips.

I stood up, laid my feet flatly on the ground and walked to her. All I can hear is the sound of my shoes as I made my way towards her. My answer caught her off-guard, I guess, I can see it on the looks of her face.

"Hmmm," She hummed. Her eyes bore into mine.

"Lieutenant, with all due respect, a scientist like me needs to have a quiet and peaceful environment to work on. I can't continue my work with you pestering me."

"Your words, Doctor. Your words." She mumbled.

"You can't blame me, Lieutenant. Everyone knows that you're a traitor, that you're a double-dealing person."

"What else?" She encouraged me more to speak up. She stood there, her arms crossed.

"And I heard that you're one of the people who did the inside job," I answered.

A loud laugh came. "That's absurd, I'll never do such thing!" She replied, her mouth curved into a smile.

"A criminal wouldn't share her crime with anyone."

"Seems like you know too much," Her hands caressing the table as she hovered herself on me. I backed away all little, not because I'm scared, but because I can fight her with enough distance. "And you know what happens to meddling people like you."

On cue, she pushed me with so much power. My body fell backward and hit the closest shelf. The sound of glasses shattering filled the room and I couldn't care less. I forced myself to stand up and recover from the sudden impact. Quickly, I grabbed one of the shattered glasses and pointed at her. My hand slightly bleeding.

"A Lieutenant? Having a hard time killing a peasant like me?" I provoked her more. My white lab gown has changed into a white and red polka.

"How about you shutting up and let me bring you to rest!" She charged towards me as I nudged my body to the right.

I ran over to the table and grabbed one of the flasks and threw them at her. She immediately dodged them and ran towards me.

I kicked her thigh as much as I can and aimed for her stomach, hoping to stab her with a sharp glass. She barely got hit since she pushed my arm away, causing me to crash into her.

"And I'm not yet starting, dear." She held me by one hand and flicked the other.

Sharp glasses from the shelf and flasks containing dangerous chemicals flew right in front of me. My eyes widened, as I scanned the flasks. Checking if one of them contained the cure I worked on. My mouth immediately ran dry when I saw the greenish cure for mankind. I looked over Lieutenant Silver, clearly unaware of everything.

"Surprised?" I heard her say.

I couldn't respond. Her hand still in the air controlling everything. In my surprise she released me from her tight grip, only to be manipulated by her power. She lifted me, slowly making me lose my breath.

"Go ahead and kill me!" I pleaded while speaking half nervous.

"Look how pitiful you are," She chuckled.

"Dare me, you've failed anyway," I mocked her. I could see her eyes, furious as she glared at me. I could feel the slightest loose of her power through my neck, but it came back and I tried to get away from it.

"You've said enough. Time for you to die, you pestering Doctor."

I felt the slightest crack of my neck and I fell from the air to the ground.

Finally, after years of suffering from this anxiety, I got the time of my life, my death. The ceiling drew countless memories of my life, passing through my sight, showing me each memory I made in my lifetime.

I saw the people I loved, and this was the time that I meet them, once again. I weakly raised my hand as I felt that I was one with them, united as we rejoiced from the feeling that we're complete.

I was weak, and the Lieutenant is weaker. She didn't know, but it's up to the Crusaders to solve this agenda.