Chapter 9: Frisky Chaperon

Dr. Matthews' POV:

I've waited for this moment, finally I'm an alchemist now. I can finally do the things I've dreamed off. I received a call from the head doctor of this institution, I leapt in gladness to found out they needed me. As I was in the middle of voyaging, I imagined myself treating, performing surgeries to the survivors or to find a cure, but things turned not quite as I expected.

I stepped out of the vehicle to meet up with the doctor in front of the treatment centers. We shook our hands gently as possible. I don't want to mess this up.

"Glad to meet you doctor..." she greeted, not knowing my name.

"Oh, how foolish of me. I'm Dr. Frangelico Matthews, your newly hired Alchemist." I greeted. She smiled in return.

"Well, Dr. Matthews, come with me please," she serenely said. I didn't know, but I think she's the head of the Alchemists. I tried looking at her ID but she was too occupied by her movements. She was beautiful, short but beautiful. Well, not that short, but it suits her figure.

"Uhm, may I ask who you are?" I asked her.

"Dr. Jolinalyn Manhoover, the head of the Alchemists." I was astounded at what she said. I can't believe that I was already talking with the head doctors since the very start of this journey.

"Oh, I'm sorry I didn't notice," I gave her my sincere apologies. She only smiled and shrugged it away.

We entered the elevators and waited for our destined floor. The elevator door opened when we arrived our desired floor. There I saw remarkable technologies that are all new to me. I got too floored from my position and I didn't notice that Dr. Manhoover was already speaking.

"Dr. Matthews, are you still with me?" She asked, looking at my surprised look. I apologized for my manner and followed her.

She led the way to where I was flabbergasted the most. There lies these so-called Crusaders, holding onto their weapons and ready to fight. One Crusader was enough to look at, but there are two which made my eyes focus on.

"A-2 and A-5, Dr. Matthews will be your guide for today," she introduced me to the fine men, which made me drool over them.

"Pleasure to meet you, doctor." One of them handed out their palm and shook hands with mine. I was speechless, which made them think of the impossible.

I then overheard one conversation between the two crusaders.

"Is he a 'he' or a 'she'?" The one who shook my hand whispered to the other.

"I think he's a 'he'? But I think he's gay." The other one said with hesitation.

Dr. Jolinalyn shushed both of them. I frowned and I lowered my head down.

Since I was a child I always knew that I am different. My older brother plays guns, while I play with paper dolls. I hate playing guns with my older brother and his friends, they always make me pretend a biohazard. My parents and my brother are mindful of my femininity, I remembered the day when my father burned my paper dolls. My mother comforts me like she accepts me.

§

"Do you love me, mother, even though I am different?'' I asked her while she hugged me.

"You are not different Frangelico, you're special, and mother will always love who you are," she replied.

"I'm your mother, I carried you for nine months, and I endured the pain to bring you out in this world. Don't let the world bring your smile to a frown." She replied as her eyes gone teary.