Chapter 23: Venomous Affluence

Here's Chapter 23, Enjoy!

---

Dr. Calaban's POV:

The door was shut close followed by the heavy footsteps of Doctor Manhoover, my wife. I put down the recent readings of the victims of the recent explosion. The findings were almost the same, although some differ, the over-all was caused by only one chemical.

"Another tinker was admitted," Dr. Manhoover trailed, her hands rested inside her lab gown's pockets. Her stethoscope hanging from her neck and her hair is slightly a mess. "The same thing, he was having a severe headache. We confined him for further tests."

I nodded, my eyes fixed on the paper I was holding. Alchemists found out that one of substance added to the explosion is one of the dangerous gases in the world, Arsine. According to their study, arsine attacks the body's red blood cells which may cause a severe headache and may lead to anemia and worst, nephropathy.

All the victims showed the same symptoms. Although we need to test them more, I'm certain that they inhaled the poisonous gas. The bombing during the Masquerade Ball caught the people off-guard and had a hard time leaving the halls, in line with this, some inhaled the gas too much compared to others. 

"What are we going to do know? Almost all of the Alchemists were busy with the Life forms, they don't have much time making a cure for the victims," I heard my wife whispered. Her voice cracking at the end of her line. "I already talked to Dr. Paige, maybe he can help us with the cure."

I could feel her sympathy and sadness, especially the moment she knew that some of the victims were little children. Her heart has a soft spot for them.

"Please don't worry. We'll find a way," I assured her, patting her shoulder for a few times before enveloping for a hug.

Three knocks were heard before the door of my office opened once again, revealing Dr. Paige wearing his Alchemist uniform, speaking of. his eyes had dark circles proving that he worked really hard.

"I'm sorry to interrupt," He apologized first while walking towards my desk. I motioned him to sit but he quietly declined. "To be honest with you, my team is having a hard time making the cure for the victims. The sudden phenomena caught us off guard, we are out of ingredients to use."

I rose from my seat, "What do you mean?"

"For the meantime, you need to find for a plant that may temporarily cure the patient, maybe make their red blood cell count higher." He looked at me with his passionate eyes, "We lack manpower, I will try to seek help but for now, I need you to find me Utica Diocia."

I memorized the plant's name in my head as I looked over my wife who is listening intently. Her eyes never leaving Dr. Paige and her ears glued to every word he spoke.

"It's a rare plant. We can use it as a temporary cure and as a part of the cure I'm working on so please bring heaps." I nodded once again. I thanked him and he hurriedly went back to his lab.