Chapter 16: Delayed Registry

Here's Chapter 16. Enjoy!!!

---

Prof. Collin's POV:

I tapped my fingers on my mahogany desk. The vibrations kept up its pace as I craned my neck upwards. What a boring day! The beeping sound of computers and fiddling of papers filled the whole room. They're busy as a bee but here I am, struggling on what to do. Shifting on my seat, I checked the papers laid out on my desk. Obviously, I had loads of work but I'm not in the mood to do even a single thing. I was occupied by my thoughts and emotions, I can't think straight.

I woke up really late today, I guess I failed to hear that my alarm went off, and just to be driven here just to sit down and stare at my busy buddies. I was up all night playing Fortnite and failed to sleep, not even a wink.

Feeling really unmotivated, I stood up and went to the nearest cafeteria to fill my stomach. Maybe by eating, I'd feel pumped up and bring me the energy to finish all my tasks. I'm clearly behind schedule!

Regardless of what happened yesterday at the council hall, accusing me of the death of Prof. Koltz, they still gave me tasks and clearly displayed the image that nothing in particular happened.

"Yo, Collins!" I heard Dane's voice which was followed by his quick footsteps. Dane was a close friend of mine since high school, yet things had changed since the apocalypse. We barely even see each other these days.

I raised my eyebrow at him, urging him to continue what he's about to say, "I heard there's a newly released game, based on the first gen they released a couple of years ago." Oh, I know where this is going.

"Yeah, I heard about that." I turned right, he followed. One foot over the other, I walked through the halls while my stomach was churning from hunger.

"Do you mind playing with me?" He scuffed his ruffled hair from behind. "It's on my computer though. You can visit my place after eating your lunch," he nudged me with his elbow and wriggled his eyebrows.

I pulled the lab gown that I'm wearing, "I got work to do, maybe next time." I fasten my pace, wanting him to leave me. For all I know, Professor Romanight will cut me to bits the moment he finds out that I'm not doing my work.

"Woah!" Dane put his hand over my shoulder which caught me off-guard, "You sound so professional!" He teased. "Are you sure you don't want to play? I'll just invite Seph to come over then." Seph too was a childhood friend, nonetheless, they both spend time with each other maybe like, forever? Do they even shower for Pete's sake? Games helped me conquer anxiety, but not much.

"Sure," I scoffed. He left me be and my stomach churned once more from hunger.

A part of me wanted to play, but I need to get back to work immediately. I pursed my lips and continued walking to the cafeteria. 

As usual, the canteen were jam-packed with hungry Crusaders, Tinkers and Alchemists. I went inside, got my usual meal and started eating. The buzzing sound of people chatting inside the canteen filled my ears as I scooped the soup out of the bowl. It tasted a little bland, I thought.