Chapter 30: Last Resort

Dr. Paige's POV:

They came unexpectedly and war has begun. All the supplies, tools and things we have inside the dome were all torn. Some of my mates were dead and a few of them were injured. I didn't know what to do or what I needed to do, but all I know is that I have to save these files and life forms. The rumbles and explosion outside is still ongoing. I can see it from the window glass, I can hear the capsules clanking, a vibration caused by the explosions made the life forms fall from it's racks.

I'm having cold sweat and rushed towards the racks, some of the capsules fell and broke but I still manage to get the others and put it in the place where it will be safe. I encrypted the files for security purposes and duplicate it so that I would have a backup. The window glass shattered by the flying biohazards that dropped some explosives, the piece of glass shattered and flew.

It was so unbelievable that I survived because I almost died when they bombard the dome and luckily, I got the important file that needs to be kept. The file was very vital because it consists of the cure to humankind and as far as I know when the dome was still not attacked by the biohazards the file was needed to be carried immediately to the authorities. The authorities didn't want to spread out the files because they are protecting the humankind and all they wanted is to prevail the darkness. Countless biohazards were now entering the dome, luckily some of the citizens were assisted to custody, yet there are still, several of them who died from being seen by the biohazards.

I'm collating all the life forms and place it into the receptacle and sealed it together with the folders of the filtered data. I was aback for a moment, reminiscing the past when we've got the cure to human kind, everyone was glad to know the news. Right then and the highness conducted a meeting about on when to give the file to the authorities. When the time has come, the file should be delivered to the authorities, the dome was attacked. I've never seen any chaos such as massive like these in my entire life.

I've never imagined myself being too brave, involuntarily offer myself for this position but then I became the person I didn't expect to be.

I strolled the cart where the receptacle is and trying to avoid the falling debris and fireballs.

I went to the underground laboratory when I stroll around, I saw some of my mate sprawled on the floor, lifeless. I spend my day inside our dome even though I know it was too dangerous to stay here but all I think is no one knows that I survived but I need to be more extra careful. The next day, there's a suspicious person that is going around the dome so I hid to the most private place I know. I just keep on observing the suspicious man so I can leave the dome. Hours are changing; I discovered that the suspicious man was one of the henchmen of the evildoer. When the night was still young, my willingness to leave this place is too heavy. 

I totally wanted to go to Dr. Valorium's place to give the file so they can cure what is needed to be cured. However, my situation became hard when I unintentionally pushed the vase beside me. The henchman walked to my place and he was looking for me. I am on my pins and needle during that time because I need to survive and I need to leave the place as soon as possible.

I need to transport this file to Dr. Valorium. When the henchman stopped looking for me and took his break, I instantly went to another place. I was walking slowly and every time he looks at my place, I hid as soon as I can.

I was very close to the main door, but then I noticed that it was locked. I need to do something just to pass this dome. I went straight to the other side of the dome where the huge window was located when I arrived on it. I look around to check the henchman and unluckily, he was still awake and observing the whole place.

When he went to the main door he was busy unlocking it and I saw the shadow of a bunch of henchmen standing on the front door. I saw one henchman holding a bottle of liquor so I got an idea that they will have their drinking session, and my idea was right. All I have to do was to wait for them to be tipsy.

When I looked at the henchmen's place, luckily, they were all sleeping while snoring, I make sure they are in their deep sleep before I leave the place. When I was already sure that they are in their deep slumbers, I jumped out the window and went straight to the woodland. 

I didn't even know that there were a lot of henchmen walking around the place, so for this time I needed to be more extra careful. I walked slowly and hid in the place that I guess was safe. I was too close to reach the end of woodland when Dr. Valorium went on my way.

"Dr. Valorium, the file is in here and in this receptacle are the life forms."

As the doctor and I walked towards somewhere safe and silent, we both knew that we can't stay here much longer, because I know it's completely dangerous so I made a move. I grabbed her arms and we walked faster than we can and either the henchman nor the horde of undead, might notice us. We hid to the walls or somewhat, flat surfaces to avoid getting caught. I thought we're relieved when we had passed the woodland and almost reached the city but, no. When we're almost at the relocated area, the horde of the undead saw us. We ran and I knew that they will do anything just to get ourselves mauled.

"Take care of the files with the best that you can," I told Dr. Valorium and told her that we need to separate ways

I lured the undead away from Dr. Valorium. The undead was too excessive. I kept on running at the same time fighting from their bites and attempts to eat me alive.

When my energy was running low, that was the time when they surrounded me. I kept myself in action, even though I have a small chance to survive. I gave my all just to give Dr, Valorium enough time for her to reach the relocation area and transmit the file safely, but I failed. I saw Dr. Valorium taking the file and glancing at my direction. She looked at me with sympathy. I only mouthed a go and that was when the undead took my life.

---

Originally written by Eubie Kyle Lebumfacil (with a little help from his girlfriend)

Anyways! Enjoy~~~