Just like me: phan pt81

*Dans pov*

I was in trouble, well, I guessed I was in trouble. Dad rarely ever took a day off of work and when he did it was for something important. Maybe he wasn't too happy that I skipped school and ran off with Phil, maybe he had some important evidence on the kidnapping and needed us back at the station. Either way I was terrified and didn't want to to leave the car. Phil stared blankly out the front window, I knew he was feeling the same way.

My dad made his way down the stairs and up to the window of the car, he was wearing his uniform so he must've just gotten home, I wound down the window and let in a deep breath.

He looked relieved, I wasn't sure if it was because I hadn't run away forever, which by then I was absolutely regretting, or because I didn't leap out of the car and run down the street as soon as I saw him.

'I didn't think you'd come home' He murmured hoarsely.

'I've gone away for a night before' I replied, before looking away.

'Not with...' He trailed off. 'Not with him'  

I knew what he meant.

'I couldn't run away' I mumbled. 

'Oh...How's Phil?'

The conversations between me and my dad were awkward and forced. We had little in common and hadn't had a stable relationship for years. I didn't know much about his personal life, and he didn't know much about mine. I guess he was at a learning stage, I had come out to him, he had a choice to accept it or deny it. I guessed he had to chosen to accept it, which I will be forever greatful for.

'Not good' 

How are you then?' 

'Not good' 

He thought for a moment, his harsh line of a mouth tensed.

'I heard about the adoption...It's bad, I know I don't take much interest in your life Dan, but I care, and I thought it was just cruel...I spoke to the woman running it...' 

This was in no way like my dad, he never took much interest in my life, he never cared when I was distraught. I don't know what had changed him, I don't know why he was willing to help when all Phil had done for me in his eyes was make me ditch school and run away.

'Why?' I asked, raising an eyebrow, guessing he had a motive, something, anything that would make this less about me and more about him.

'Becuase' He shrugged.

'Because why?!' I yelled out of frustration.

'Because...Because he seems to make you happy' He sighed. 'I don't think I've actually seen you really happy in a long time' 

My bottom lip quivered, I don't know why I was getting emotional, maybe it was because I knew it was true. I wasn't happy before Phil, I was angry at my self and frustrated. I still wasn't completely happy, but I was learning. 

'Oh' I paused. 'What did you say to the adoption lady?' 

'She was set on keeping him away from you' He paused. 'I got you a phone call...once a week for a max of 2 hours' 

I was lost for words, I heard Phil gasp next to me and turned to see him biting back tears. That's all we needed, a phone call. I was so relieved, I could now check up on Phil every week to see how he was doing. It would still be hard, no doubt, I would miss his touch and his scent, but I'd have his voice, and that was better than alright.

'Thankyou' I barely croaked.

'Its fine...The agency will email you his new home phone number' My dad nodded. 'The hospital's dropped Phil's car off at his house along with the stuff he left there. I think you two should start packing...' 

'Okay' I murmured while wiping away some tears. 'What time are they picking him up?' 

'7 or 8, around then' He shrugged.

'Alright, I'll see you' I waved, starting up the car again.

'Err...Thank you!' I heard Phil yell from beside me.

'No problem...Have a safe trip' My dad answered. 'He needs you' 

He needs you.

I hadn't heard a truer sentence than that.

I pulled out of the driveway and slowly began to drive down the road when Phil told me to pull over for a second, I obeyed, as we were in no rush to start packing, even though we probably shoulv'e been.

'A phone call a week!' He cheered, pulling me into his arms. 'This means you can't get into any trouble' 

'This means you can't get into any trouble' I noted, poking his nose lovingly.

'No, but seriously' He giggled. 'Now we can call each other if we feel off'

'Yes, but remember...It's ONCE a week, for a max of two hours' I whispered. 'We can't waste it' 

'Dan' He paused. 'It doesn't matter how we use it, a moment speaking with you would never be wasted' 

I smiled softly, and cupped his cheeks in my hands, pulling him up into a loving kiss.