Chapter Two

Adam's POV

        "No way..." I mouth, my eyes locking with hers.

        "Adam..." Phoebe whispers, her hand hovering over Torey's back.

        It's her...She looks the same as she did seventeen years ago, just taller. The same brown hair was tied back, shorter pieces falling over her soft brown eyes. The soft curve of her face was dead set and determined.

        "Phoebe?" I whisper, hoping she can hear me.

        "Focus, Klatt!" The other medic yelps, thrusting a neck collar at Phoebe. 

        She takes the collar and one last look at me before turning back to Torey.

        "Adam!" Dougie says, grabbing my arm. "Come here."

        I look back at Phoebe as I skate off the ice, watching her work. 

        "Is that her?" Dougie asks me as soon as we're in the locker room. "THE Phoebe?"

        I nod, not sure if I should be happy or afraid to see her again. "That's her." 

        Dougie starts smiling, patting my back. "I told you that you would see her again!" 

        I nod again, not listening. I can't believe it's her...

        "Adam?" 

        "Huh?" I ask, my head snapping up.

        "I said, aren't you happy to see her?" Dougie repeats, still smiling.

        "I...I don't know." I say, strolling over and taking a seat by my locker.

        "You don't know?! Adam, you've been waiting FOREVER to see her again!" Dougie groans, walking over and standing in front of me. 

        "I know...I know. But I'm not sure if I should be happy to see her, or afraid that she'll hate me because I never kept that promise." I say quietly, looking at my dulling skates. 

        "I doubt she'll be mad." Dougie says calmly, taking a seat next to me. "I think she's going to be happy to see you again after all these years."

        "You think so?" I ask, looking over at him.

        There's another small smile spreading on his face as he nods. "Absolutely!" 

        "Adam? Dougie?" I hear Johnny call out, a second before he steps into the room. "Come on. The game is starting back up." 

        We jog out of the room just in time to see the stretcher go by. Torey has a neck collar on, and a brace on his lower leg. He's groaning in pain, eyes closed tightly.

        "Feel better, Kruger! We'll see you as soon as we're done!" I say as he goes by. But my attention isn't on him, but on the Paramedic at his head.

        Phoebe looks back at me as she goes by, our eyes lingering for a moment. She just frowns, then turns back to Torey.

        Dougie places a hand on my shoulder. "It'll be fine." He says, tugging me towards the ice.

        An hour later.

        "And the game winner by Quaider!" Brad laughs, rubbing my hair. 

        I laugh along with the team, celebrating our 5-4 overtime win against Washington. 

        "A ripper from the point!" Reilly yells, mocking Jack Edwards.