Chapter Thirty Two

Adam's POV

"BP 100 over 80, dropping!" A medic yells.

"Come on, Phoebe. Stay with me." I whisper to Phoebe, sitting at her head.

"Drive faster! We're losing her!"

"Just give me a minute, damn it!" The driver yells, slamming on the gas even harder.

I push Phoebe's hair back from her pale, cold face. "Stay with me." I repeat.

When we get to the hospital, Phoebe is instantly surrounded by nurses and taken away.

"Wait, where are you taking her?" I ask, pulling a stray nurse aside.

"She's just going for tests." She says, watching the nurses take Phoebe through another door.

I bite my lip. "Is she going to be okay?"

The nurse nods, offering a reassuring smile. "She'll be fine."

"But....what about our baby?" I ask urgently.

This shocks her. "Baby?!"

"Yeah. She's four months pregnant."

The smile fades instantly, and suddenly she's gone, racing after the other nurses.

******

I sit in the waiting room, wringing my hands. I shudder again, another wave of anxiety washing through me.

"Adam!" I hear Dougie yell, running into the room. No shock, he's followed by Torey, Emily, Patrice, and Stephanie.

"Any news?" Emily asks, standing in front of me.

I shake my head, more tears brimming my eyes. Patrice pats me on the back before taking a seat next to me.

"They say Phoebe will be okay." I whisper, putting my hands on my knees. "They're not sure about the baby, though."

There's a moment of silence in the room, broken only by me taking some deep breaths.

"Mr. McQuaid?" A doctor calls, poking his head in the room.

My head snaps up at the sound of my name. "That's me."

"Can I talk to you out here, please?" He asks, smiling softly at my friends.

I slowly stand up, and trudge out of the room, fearing the worst.

Patrice's POV

I watch Adam walk out of the room, then look over to Emily. "The baby isn't going to make it, is he?"

Emily thinks for a minute, then slowly shakes her head. "I'm not sure. Roofies do terrible things to someone. God only knows what they'll do to a little baby."

I nod, then look down at my feet. Stephanie rubs my back, trying to calm me down.

A moment later, Adam walks back into the room. We all watch him take his seat again, not sure what to do.

"Adam?" Torey urges, watching his teammate start crying again. "Everything good?"

Without words, Adam just shakes his head, then completely falls apart.

My POV

My eyes flick open, the bright white lights of the hospital nearly blinding me. I see Adam sitting by the bed, his eyes closed.

"Hey." I whisper, poking Adam's hand gently. "Baby, wake up." I shake hand this time, which jerks him awake.

"Hey, you." Adam says quietly, leaning over and giving me a quick kiss on the cheek. "How ya feeling?"

""Like I just got shot." I laugh gently, reaching for Adam's hand. "How about you?"

Adam just shakes his head. "I've had better days."

"Haven't we all?" I ask, smiling.

Adam bites his lip, looking out the door.

"Adam?" He looks back when I start talking. "Babe, what's wrong?"

He just shakes his head again.

"Adam Mark, I can tell when something is wrong. Come on." I tell him, squeezing his hand as hard as I can.

Adam takes a deep breath, then sits on the edge of the bed. "Phoebe...the baby didn't make it."

Adam's POV

"Adam, we got the test results back on Phoebe." The doctor tells me, looking down at his clipboard.

"And? Is everything okay?" I ask, crossing my arms on my chest.

"With Phoebe, yes. She'll be fine." The doctor says, but then he sighs. "But the baby isn't."

"What's wrong with the baby?" I ask, my voice shaking. Naturally, I expect the worst.

The doctor looks at me, then frowns, lines creasing his forehead. "She took in a lot of the roofie powder. Since everything Phoebe takes in goes to the baby, the baby got the most of it."

I can feel the blood drain from my face, and my jaw drops. "And?"

"I'm sorry, Adam." The doctor says, putting a hand on my shoulder. "Your baby didn't make it."

The words the doctor told me ring through my head again as I watch Phoebe's reaction.

She just gets this blank look on her face, slowly looking down, away from me. "How do they know?"

I take a breath, rubbing my thumb along the back of her hand. "They uh...ran some tests. They couldn't find the heartbeat, no movement."

"So, what am I supposed to do? Still delier the baby? What?" Phoebe asks, moving to sit up.

"The doctor told me that they'll do a surgery later. You won't have to carry the litte guy any longer." I tell her.

Phoebe suddenly looks surprised. "Little guy?"

"Yeah." I choke out, starting to cry again. "It was a boy."