Chapter Eighteen

Adam's POV

        I sit by Phoebe's bed, my fingers barely touching hers. In her sleep, her cold fingers twitch under mine. 

        I look up, finally moving my head from my other hand. Phoebe is fast asleep, but looks terrible. She's as white as a ghost. It's been two days since the accident, and Phoebe hasn't said a word. The hospital has kept her sleeping in order to get enough blood back in her body.

        "She'll be all right." Everyone keeps repeating to me. Over and over. Day after day. Time and time again. 

        I'm still having trouble believing them. Sure, she'll be okay. Physically. But emotionally? Mentally?

        Who knows?

        Phoebe's fingers twitch again, this time grabbing mine. Mine take them, as if it was an instinct. My little finger brushes against the gauze wrap on her wrist, causing a shiver to race down my spine.

        "Adam." Phoebe says quietly, squeezing my hand gently.

        I look up again, my eyes meeting hers. She's smiling a little, showing off her teeth. 

        "How on earth are you smiling?" I ask, moving closer to the bed.

        Phoebe sits up slowly, careful of the tubes going into her arm. "I have no clue. Maybe because you're here."

        I stand up, and move right up to the bed. I pull Phoebe towards me, resting her head on my shoulder. I press my forehead against the side of her head, and start crying again.

        "You scared the hell out of me." I whisper, closing my eyes tightly. I press her against me, holding her tightly.

        Phoebe's left arm reaches up, crossing my back, and rests her hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry."

        "Don't ever leave me like that again, okay?" I ask, leaning back. I put my hands on her shoulders, keeping her steady. "I'm here for you. Just promise me that you won't leave me."

        Phoebe looks at me, her mouth open in shock a bit. Then, she closes it and nods. "I promise."

        I hold out my pinkie, raising my eyebrows expectantly. Phoebe rolls her eyes, but holds out her. We link fingers, then I lean in and kiss her gently.

        "I love you. I'm always here for you. Please, don't forget that." I whisper, leaning my forehead against hers.

        "I love you, too." She whispers back.

        **********

        "I don't want to see you for a while, okay?" The doctor asks, smiling innocently at us.

        It's the next day, and Phoebe is finally being released from the hospital. I'm happy about it, but not as happy as her.

        The rosiness is back in her cheeks, brightening her smile once again. Phoebe's eyes also regained that lovely shimmer, too. She was getting back to normal, at least physically.

        "You sure you'll be okay?" I ask, walking out of the hospital with Phoebe, her hand in mine.

        She takes a deep breath, then nods. "With you there, I will be."

        I turn to Phoebe, and wrap my arms around ehr waist. "I promised I would always be there. I don't plan on going back on that." I brush one finger across the scar on her forehead, the one from the Winter Classic game.